12v help

Hillshire

I know of a guy that has a 12v that he's looking to get rid of. It's a 2wd. Not sure of the year but I wall get back with that. But the thing is its a extended cab 4door! I am going to take a look at it this week, check everything and make an offer. I don't know the miles but I will soon. If I get it, I'm going to want to make it into a part time daily driver, track toy. Looking for 500-550rwhp. My first thought will be to cut the fuel plate to #100. But will a #100 be faster than no fuel plate at all? Next I would tune the AFC, governer springs, and do injectors. Should I go with the 370's or something bigger? I don't think that 370's would get me to my goal, but on the other hand I'm not completely familiar with the cummins engine. What are yalls thoughts on this? (I already know everything that needs to be done with the trans, and I know all the supporting mods I will need/intake, exhaust, head studs, etc...)

Last edited:
Although not the best choice, 370s have been over 500.

If its a 12 valve, stock with 4 doors (quad cab), then it's a 98.

If its an auto, I'd ditch the plate.

Okay. So y'all say ditch the fuel plate completely, (it is an auto) 5x.014's, and 62/68. Should i go with 4gsk?

You ditch the plate and do some pump mods and that stock auto is on a count down to death. Unless you drive like a grandpa, but then whats the point of more power.

Personally I would beef up the auto before adding much power.

^^^ this for sure or your wasting money and down time. Bare min a trans refresh, billet single disc converter, input, decent vb and a good cooler. Than throw some power into it.

Yeah I am planning on VB, TC, input shafts and and a good cooler. I will either beef up the auto or put a manual in it, with a really good clutch. How is the bottom end of these 12v's when they get to where they're pushing high hp? Because when I reach my 550rwho goal, I'm sure I will be pushing it even farther. I saw a vid on here of a guy that had a supercharger on his truck. Will I benefit from putting a supercharger in front of my turbo, and putting it on a pulley? Or would a good set of compounds be better than that?