12v into '03 SD questions

SSpeeDEMONSS

Still Learning
what would it cost to swap a 12v into my '03 SD? main price would be the motor, right? and how difficult would it be?

Garrett

12V's are easier than anything else, since there purly mechanical. Your lookin at about 2500-3000 for parts(flexplate, Adaptor housing, Tranny Controller). The motor is going to be the most expensive part. I;d say another 3000-5000 depending upon your resourcefulness.

Around here 12 valves with the p-pump go fro around $2,000-$2200 in good condition and complete. I thinkn its a fairly simple project to do especially since there is almost no wiring needed to get the engine running. Adapters and strong trannys are redilly available, let the searching begin.

ive got a damn 5r110. i dont want it anymore. i cant trust it to put 400hp to the ground let alone 550. i really dont see a 5r110 lasting behind the 12v torque that im going to be going for.

Garrett

Ummm the 5R110 is a pretty solid tranny, there is a reason why billet parts are not common for it(Insert fords are slow joke here), but really they dont break if you have the correct person tuning your tranny. My truck makes far more then 400HP and its a stock tranny... as with most other people.

By the time you have a 47RH built, you can spend the same money on the 5R110 and (*gulp*) and have a better tranny (can't believe I just paid kudo's to a Ford part :bang ).

By the time you have a 47RH built, you can spend the same money on the 5R110 and (*gulp*) and have a better tranny (can't believe I just paid kudo's to a Ford part :bang ).

not only do i have to buy all the billet stuff for the trans but i also need to get the tranny controller as well. i just dont want to deal with it. why is it so difficult to understand that i want the simplicity and durability of the 47rh.

Garrett

I have done several swaps , and I hate trans controlers. the 47rh is the only way to go . HTS has specail weights and shift levers for conversions and they work better than they do in a dodge. plus if you use a rh you won't need to buy any adapters just a set of motor mounts.. so by the time you sell the 5r110 and the tcase add the money saved by not buying the trans controler and trans adapters you will have the $ for a decent RH.

I think it depends on what you want or want to do with it. I have the PCS controller and 4R100 with several different programs I can run. I can go to the strip and select my program for the strip with parameters set up for what I need there. Then I can switch to a very soft shifting program to drive down the road or a economy setting to keep the converter locked up more often. Guess it also depends on if you like messing with all the wiring and a laptop computer. I have done 2 swaps. One with the 4R100 and the other with the 5R110. Both of them were easy for me to handle and are holding up just fine. Guess its just a user decision.

I think it depends on what you want or want to do with it. I have the PCS controller and 4R100 with several different programs I can run. I can go to the strip and select my program for the strip with parameters set up for what I need there. Then I can switch to a very soft shifting program to drive down the road or a economy setting to keep the converter locked up more often. Guess it also depends on if you like messing with all the wiring and a laptop computer. I have done 2 swaps. One with the 4R100 and the other with the 5R110. Both of them were easy for me to handle and are holding up just fine. Guess its just a user decision.

how much power is the 5r110 combo making?

Garrett

12 valve with a single PS64, stock pump with springs and valves, and some injectors...I would guess maybe 450 or so???

The thing is... he gets almost 20 mpg with that truck! Pulls a 27' boat about once a month and some gooseneck trailers.

I have an E4OD with a PCS. That controller is insane. I have a button mounted on my dash to switch from regular drive mode to race/tow mode. Wound up having to have the tranny rebuilt within a week of the 12V being put in and fully plumbed. Paid a little extra to have it rebuilt to 500hp with an ATS TC.