12v into 2003 GMC 2500

DMAXLBZ75

Well I finally got a 12 valve cummins for a sc/lb 2500 GMC, however it has a few problems. The motor came out of a truck that had a fire, so it has no electonics or things made from plastic left on the motor. I got the motor for free though so i figure i could replace all the damaged parts for less than getting a full engine. With that said i have a few questions.

1) Do I need to just go to a junk yard and find a new wire harness and use it, or will i need something custom made for this to work?

2) Is there anything internaly that could have been damaged in the fire, I plan on replacing all the gaskets but is there anything else i need to check?

3) I havent seen many people try this conversion, so I just want to make sure I can get my guages to work somehow

4) I plan on making this a high hp motor eventually (slowly LOL), 900-1000 hp, for this range in horsepower, what size turbos, injectors, and injection pump should i look into. Also what mods to the bottem end will need to be done.

I will keep yall posted when I make more progress on this, I know its going to be pretty slow going. Thanks

most of the gauges you can swap your sensors over and plug it in you probably will be better off just making your own wires for the shut off solenoid and other little things like the grid heater. as far as the damage depends on the fire that burnt it. maybe nothing is wrong if it was a small electrical fire but if it was something that got really hot and melted the truck down then there could be some issues. as far as the build there is several threads on what has been used to reach those numbers.

We think the fire was an electrical fire. the only hard part that we are going to replace are a few of the valve covers on the back of the motor that got a little tweaked in the fire. as far as the sensors and such, I can use the gm ones on the cummins?

yeah thats what i did on mine it just may take an adapter to get them to fit in the locations but yes you can put your sensors on the motor so that you dont have to hack your wire harness too much. just take your time and do it right and it will look good and function well

ok i'll look into that. where do you get adapters for the sensors? Also, how did you get you tach and speedometer to work?

well i am going to get rid of the guage cluster and make a custom one w/ aftermarket guages, so that is going to fix the whole getting the guages to work problem solved i think.

New question is where can I get a decent priced adapter plate to put a turbo 400 behind the 12v. I have found a few but they just seem to be a bit too expinsive. If this is the only option then I guess I will have to live with that but I wanted to see if yall could give some imput on putting this transmision behind the cummins.

look for old bread trucks they used to have the 4bt with the 400 behind them that would be the best bet if you could find one, but they are starting to get rare to find in some areas. you might be able to get one from a cummins supplier if they arent too much or if they are a cummins specific item.

and for the gauges you should be alright with that if your making your own cluster thats what i plan to do with my truck when i get the time and funds to do so.

the only reason i am doing the guages that way is because i decided ill just go ahead and make this a 99% drag truck (other 1% is for some fun around town :hehe:)

as for the transmision i didnt know they came on the 4tb's, i am going to start looking into that, that might be my best option.

thanks

yeah look around they are becoming rare but if you call around to some of the conversion companies they might be able to sell you one if they have one.