12v into '77 Power Wagon help

StrokerAce7.3

A lil help from the masters please!!
I just got 2 awesome trucks, i want to put them 2gether.
1st- An old air force truck. A awesome 1977 Dodge Ram W350 M880 Power Wagon 1-Ton 4x4 Crew Cab Short Bed
Dana 60 Kingpin Front Axle w/ 4.88 Gears & Disc Brakes
Dana 70 Rear Axle w/ 4.88 Gears
NP435 4-Speed Manual Trans w/ NP203 T-Case
440 4-V Magnum Steel Crank Engine w/ Hi-Po Heads
Military Bumpers & Wheels & 35" Tires

And the donor- A t-boned 1997 dodge 2500 w/ 5speed 4x4

I wana use the 12v & nv4500 and put it in the p-wagon.

got alot of future plans but thats my goal now. im not entirally outta my element here im a decent shadetree. just need sum directions please. any help would be greatly appreciated.:thankyou2::Cheer:

You are in good shape considering you have 2 complete trucks. I have not done the swap personally, but you can look at a first get cummins to get an idea on how it should be packaged in the '77. I would keep the axles in the 77, regear if you need to. You may have to look at re-clocking the transfercase or getting a 205 out of a 1st gen to get your front driveshaft on the right side.
Hopefully some that have experience with this will chime in. I have been wanting to do it for a long time but I don't have the crew cab.

Good luck....post pictures!

Use first gen engine mounts it should bolt in. The Trans mount may work too.
Use the 2nd gen intercooler upside down and the piping should still fit with the exception of the long tube (I used 2 short tubes). Remember from 73 till 93 the changes were mostly cosmetic. Rich

Use first gen engine mounts it should bolt in. The Trans mount may work too.
Use the 2nd gen intercooler upside down and the piping should still fit with the exception of the long tube (I used 2 short tubes). Remember from 73 till 93 the changes were mostly cosmetic. Rich

Can you give more details on this intercooler info?

I mounted A 94 intercooler in my 89 upside down and used the 94 boots and two of the short bent tubes. It did get in the way of the overflow on the pass side and the batt box on the driver side.I had to also remove the factory trans cooler and the brace that goes from the bottom of the core support to the latch area. I then used a condenser from a 91 shadow . Rich

Where are you located? I know someone looking for a 440 4 speed combo;).

It's mostly an easy swap. What do you want to know? I've done a 85 2wd crew dually with a 90 6BT Getrag 5 speed. The 2nd gen engine mounts are much beefier and if you could fab it I would use them. For a more bolt up job, you'll want 1st gen mounts. Trans mount bolt holes will need to be moved back further. Clutch slave cylinder bracket will need to be welded or bolted under the dash as the 77 has a mechanical clutch setup.

I built the motor mounts and trans mount for my '78. I used a 97 intercooler mounted right side up, but had to do some trimming to get it in. I built the intercooler piping for it.

Is the 440 from an older vehicle, or did someone put the steel crank and heads on the 77?

Is the 440 from an older vehicle, or did someone put the steel crank and heads on the 77?

I'll be sellling mine once my conversion is done. Why worry about the crank? Those 440 cast cranks are good to 5500 rpm easy.