12v mods

Darektylka

Hey guys.
I'm coming from 24v but looking on input on a 1996 12v to see which mods are the best bang for your buck. It's a mostly stock truck besides intake and TBE exhaust. Will a fuel plate or boost elbow help?

Thanks in advance

Fuel plate and governor springs followed by injectors but expect your Trans MAY have issues with the added power if it's an auto and is stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Trans will have issues at a certain power level but some people get away with making a good amount of power on relatively stock units for a little while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the best fuel plate to buy out there? I've heard some guys removing them completely?

If I did mine again it would be governor springs and remove the plate. Then adjust afc as needed. But money would also be well spend on a valve body and converter or the go fast parts won't be doing you much good.

Don't spend money on a plate. Grind it or take it out. 4K springs, afc mods, you can find good deals on used injectors.

Check out afc live from power driven diesel. I will never run a plate again.

Power driven diesel's budget builder line of injectors are wickedly priced. On sale I just picked up a set of 5x18s for my racetruck build for 370$ish

If you're on the tigher of budgets there's is well over 100 hp 'free' locked up in the pump. Since you have a stock auto that's where you needs to start BEFORE you smoke anything and require a full rebuild. Buy a good valve body (or modify yours if you're up for that), and get a good torque converter. You may need a billet input depending on driving styles and power goals but that requires partial disassembly of the trans. With those few mods to the trans you are ready to put the juice to it. Throw the fuel plate away and tune the afc. Get a boost elbow and set boost to 35-38 psi. Do the free turbine side upgrades on the little hx35. Don't forget the gauges and kept etc. The trans will need a minimum of 1200 bones other than that stage 1 is cheap. Then u need turbo (s) injectors etc etc. It won't end

For an auto trans the very least I would to is a valve body. a good torque converter since the stock unit and single plate types dont seem to last long. Those mods you can do without really taking it all the way down and apart.

Dpc reman single: $495

Valvebody; $400 range. Or do a shift kit if you are comfortable and save a few hundred there.

Fresh dex 3 fluid and a filter

Gauges
4ks
Tune the AFC
Get AFC live if tuning frustrates you. Made quick work of tuning my afc. Something I typically have avoided and driven by foot given the time consuming process it can become.
Time it in the mid to high teens
Tune the wastegate from there.
If turbo is sloppy put an he351 on it.
Stock injectors should do you fine under 400hp but if you want cheap replacements do the Power driven budget line. My 7x11s were nearly smoke free with an s464 single in a light truck.

That is the route I would take but everybody has their own recipe. That will put you in a dependable high 300 hp range and still be fun to drive for under 2 grand with good parts.

On a real small budget:

Gauges
Valve body upgrade
Pull plate
Tune AFC
4ks (a must on a stock 12v. You will see why afterwards)
Fish tank bleeder valve as a hillbilly boost controller.