12V stock head bolts, gaskets and timing

DIESELGUY84

Bracket Racer
How much timing, boost pressure, and Drive pressure can stock 12V head bolts and gaskets handle, I'm currious on everybody's past experence.
I know Studs/O-rings are the way to go, but I'm lackin' the coin. I'm Just wondering how far I can push the stock stuff.:Cheer:

most will say 45psi of boost and 16.5 degrees of timing is still playin it safe but there are many out there running alot more without problems, and some that have run less with problems, its just a question of how far u want to take it

Stock head bolts and gasket don't like timing on the 12 valve trucks.

I ran stock gasket with retorqued head bolts and 26.0 degrees of timing. I ran many 12.0s and a few 11.60s at the track. When i went to twins and pushed it thats when she popped. I had a 64.80 with and external gate. (big key is to lower drive pressure)

i dont know exactly what my timing is but i am pullin about 70 to 80 psi on my stock head

16.5 timing and 60+psi (pegged gauge) on a stock gasket from twins. I would say it depends on what youre getting your boost from. an hx35 at 60lbs of boost is alot harder on a HG (not to mention insane) than 60lbs from twins or even a bigger single because of the heat and drivepressure.

i have twins i broke my 60 psi gauge it went past 60 all the back to 4 and it doesnt move now ha ha

I ran mine at 17.5 degrees and 55 psi from a 14cm non-w/g for anout 6 months until the head gasket and the turbo let loose at about the same time.

I'm @ 16* now. I'll prolly give it a shot at 18 maybe 20 later in the season. My cheesy off brand boost gauge pegs pretty easy @ 30, not sure what the drive pressure is yet.
I have re-tourqued the head bolts to 130.

im runnin a sled puller 66 charger making 45-50psi with 20* timing and i havent had any probs yet

Popped mine slightly before with 20 degrees and 50psi on an hx35. Retorqued it to 135 ft/lbs, and ran @ 60 psi for a couple of months on hx35/ht3b twins until i sold the truck.

ive always heard that 50 lbs is the limit for a stock hg with stock bolts. i pull 42 pounds on my stock setup and its still holding and my brother pulls 46lbs

i dont know exactly what my timing is but i am pullin about 70 to 80 psi on my stock head

I wouldnt wanna see what your drive pressures are....

PLUS i tend to agree with THAT GUY

I ran a stock head, stock headbolts, with rips twins, top charger gated at 24 psi, and 16.5 degrees. NEVER did i have a hg problem, coolant leak, or anything similar.. I towed with the truck alot, and saw over 60 psi on a handful of occasions.. just didnt know how much more...

FWIW most of the time my pop offs were set at 50 psi... perhaps what saved my headgasket...

Rick

PS STUBZ is livin proof on what im sayin...

I know you said with a stock head gasket, but just for more info we are running a fire ringed block and 36* timing on our sled pulling truck with stock head bolts. Don't waste your money on studs. This truck is running a 3.0 single charger making 75-80 lbs. of boost and leaving at 4800 rpms.

I have 258k miles on my truck running 50 plus psi of boost with 23 degrees timing, and I drive it almost every day very hard. Still holding strong so far but i'm sure the end is near for the head gasket.

Stock head bolts and gasket don't like timing on the 12 valve trucks.

Really? Iv been running 26* timing and pushing 50-60psi for almost 2 years on my stock bolts and gasket. And I am in no way easy on my truck. Gets driven like I stole it. Pulled it and Raced it several times.

I know you said with a stock head gasket, but just for more info we are running a fire ringed block and 36* timing on our sled pulling truck with stock head bolts. Don't waste your money on studs. This truck is running a 3.0 single charger making 75-80 lbs. of boost and leaving at 4800 rpms.

what are you torquing the stock head bolts to?
Thanks for the replys!!! keep 'm coming!