12v swap into 99. crank sensor/cam sensor Qs

cumminsram

giddy
Well after much debate and not being able to find a reasonably priced 99-00 24v engine iv decided to just put a 12v in the truck.Heres my only 2 concerns and any and all help is appreciated.

On the cam sensor as long as I put my vp cam gear on and make a provision for the sensor I will be fine correct?

The crank sensor is my biggest concern. How would I go about putting a crank sensor on a 12v. Any and all help is appreciated. Could it be coverted to external to read off balancer? Any pictures etc would be great thanks

I'm basically doing the same thing, '95 12V into a '98 24V auto.

I have been told that we will not need Cam Sensor signal, all it has to do with is the VP44 injector pump which we don't have.

I solved my crank sensor issue with a kit from Destroked. It has the tone wheel that bolts in front of the harmonic balancer with the proper tooth configuration. The kit comes with a 2-wire sensor to send a tach signal on a Fummins conversion. We had to enlarge the hole in the bracket to take the factory crank sensor. Here's a pic.

Crank-Sensor-e1318615358747.jpg

Scott

Thank you!!!! Thats exactely what I needed!

So we dont need a cam sensor for telling the computer as far as charging etc? I wasnt sure Iv been told both.

Last edited:
I think only the 01-02's use the cam sensor for charging purposes.

Correct. The 98-00 engines don't even have a tone ring on the back of the cam gear, just a hole in it for the cam sensor to when TDC compression on #1 is. 01-02 have a tone ring on the gear that reads engine speed and controls charging.

Correct. The 98-00 engines don't even have a tone ring on the back of the cam gear, just a hole in it for the cam sensor to when TDC compression on #1 is. 01-02 have a tone ring on the gear that reads engine speed and controls charging.

What he said.... I do not have a cam sensor on my 00 and it caused no problems

I just swapped a 12v into my 99 also, is there any other way to get the tach to work? $250 is a little steep for the kit on destroked. I wired an external regulater to the alternator and seems to work great so thats not an issue a tach would just be nice.

Other than the crank sensor, what else is needed to make the 12v work in a early 24v truck? I believe needs 12v motor mounts? Which I already have. What needs to be done with the various sensors, like oil pressure?

Other than the crank sensor, what else is needed to make the 12v work in a early 24v truck? I believe needs 12v motor mounts? Which I already have. What needs to be done with the various sensors, like oil pressure?

Same question, i will soon be in the process of swapping my 24v for a 12v

Just use the ones from the 24v sensors. The motor mounts are different, and I believe the destroked kit is the best idea for the crank sensor. Don't forget that you will need to locate the ECM to the side of the 12v block. Sorry I cannot be more help as I used a 98 12v wiring harness.

Thanks,
Rick

Just use the ones from the 24v sensors. The motor mounts are different, and I believe the destroked kit is the best idea for the crank sensor. Don't forget that you will need to locate the ECM to the side of the 12v block. Sorry I cannot be more help as I used a 98 12v wiring harness.

Thanks,
Rick

Thanks, I'm sure when we have both engines out we can see what sensors fit and what not way easier. Cause i thought some need adapters

All the sensors will need adapters. 12V sensors are pipe thread and 24V sensors use boss threads. I got my adapters from an individual who bought them from someone else, so I have no idea who has them. Might check with Destroked.

Last I checked, Destroked no longer listed the crank sensor kit I bought on the website. They may still have them if you call and ask, though.

All the sensors will need adapters. 12V sensors are pipe thread and 24V sensors use boss threads. I got my adapters from an individual who bought them from someone else, so I have no idea who has them. Might check with Destroked.

Last I checked, Destroked no longer listed the crank sensor kit I bought on the website. They may still have them if you call and ask, though.

That doesn't sound good. how many sensors are there?

I changed coolant temp, oil pressure, and intake air temp, and like I said the crank sensor and the APPS.

What year is the 12V? '96-'98 sensors may work with the 24V ECM. '94-'95 used 8V reference voltage, '96-'98 used 5V. You may have to change some connectors, though.

I changed coolant temp, oil pressure, and intake air temp, and like I said the crank sensor and the APPS.

What year is the 12V? '96-'98 sensors may work with the 24V ECM. '94-'95 used 8V reference voltage, '96-'98 used 5V. You may have to change some connectors, though.

The tps is alreadybeen switched to a 12v. The 12v is a 97'. So I guess I'm looking at the coolant , intake and oil pressure now.

Give the 12V sensors a try. They may work. You could also install a MAP sensor if you wanted to do away with that code, but you'll still have the VP44 codes which will keep the CEL on.

Give the 12V sensors a try. They may work. You could also install a MAP sensor if you wanted to do away with that code, but you'll still have the VP44 codes which will keep the CEL on.

Yeah, cel is removed anyway

Anyone know where or what size adpaters for the coolant and oil pressure sensors? 1995engine to 1999 truck?

Back