12v VE won't start

cumminss2000

I put new rings, bearings, gaskets in the motor. It was all tore apart when I got it so I don't know for sure the condition it was in when i started. I've got it all mounted in the tractor and can't get it to start.

I first started out with the timing set on the C and the pump in the middle of the slots. Once I got the lines bled out it would smoke dark grey/black and try to go but just wouldn't take off by itself. I tilted the pump in the slots to retard timing and had the same result. Tilted it back to advance all the way still the same.

I pulled the pump gear back off put it on E and now it just smokes white and doesn't do anything.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Sounds like your timing is way off.

Posted to CumminsForum via autoguide for iphone.

I agree with you. Where would it be off though? Crank and cam are matched up and the pump gear is keyed to the shaft.

Did you align the timing marks between the crank and cam gears? Was the injection pump locked when removed and left that way until it was bolted back in place?

Last edited:
The lift pump any good?

What about 12v power to the shutdown solenoid? Is the solenoid good?

Injection lines correspond to the pump and timing that way? Very easy to mix up a couple of these.

I haven't messed with a VE in some time but, I believe you can be 180 out if the pump wasn't locked a tdc. $.02

Get the cummins part number stamped in the pump housing and normally I can tell you what letter it is supposed to be timed off of.

I've gotta check lift pump yet.

The solenoid is hooked up you can hear a little tick if you listen real close.

What do mean by injection lines correspond to pump and timing?

I tried turning the pump 180 too, same thing.

I'll get it tomorrow Brad.

Thanks for replies guys!

Its close to impossible to jack up toming on a ve so bad it wont start. line hp crank/cam timing marks then line up the correct letter on the pump gear with the mark on the cam. the pump is keyed to the gear, so impossible to mess up there. Im wondering about internal issues. this motors been apart for some time right?