181/210 cam ve pump timing

camccardell

Anyone out there running this cam with their ve pump?
What kind of injection timing are you running?

I ask because I have set my timming by the manual to 1.66mm (as the dataplate says) and I don't seem to have any power.
I have tried advancing the pump to the point of preignition and then backing it out a little and still no dice.

I do have an he341 on it btw, but the damn truck is just gutless.

I mean it was knocking. Advanced too far I think? Was putting out a lot of grey smoke at idle too.

As far as the cam timing, I don't know how it could be off. The gear has a keyway and so does the cam. I did put a degree wheel on it and check it though, and the intake centerline was about spot on. I called Colt Cams, and Geoff said it was correct.

What injectors? What transmission?

Regarding the VE, do you have it timed as per the book at the gears?

injectors are now bosch 7x.010 done by a local shop set to pop at 245 bar

Book says to use letter B on the pump gear
I had it that way, and it was no diffirent than it is now
I advanced it 1 tooth, then rotated the pump back to factory timing (measured with dial indicator) and tried it. still sad
Then I advanced it to where it is now, and it is better, but still lacking.

BTW trans is an e4od as the engine is in a f150 now

it was a non IC motor originally so i would imagine 155 pistons
As far as the tips are concerned, I believe that bosch only makes a 145 tip
Maybe I should switch to a denso 158 tip?

I've run the injection event timing well past 1.7 something the last time I messed with the micrometer method. But that was also with substantially smaller nozzles . . . then.

You say the engine is a NON IC'ed engine. I'm assuming you're still running the IP that came with that engine. As such, the KSB is powered opposite of the newer, IC'ed engines. That means, NO power applied to the KSBs associated solenoid results in the KSB being ON.

Are you currently in fact applying power to the KSB?

Activating the KSB would result in substantial advancement of the injection event timing in the lower engine rpm and would certainly result in a lot of rattle down low if you've a lot of static IP timing advance over stock/OEM.

KSB-Curve_zpsed23ec97.jpg

If yours is in fact a NON IC'ed IP, apply 12vdc to the KSBs solenoid and check the engine operation again, running the IP timing advanced to where you had it when it rattled. You may find it runs much better.

Or at least until you can dial it in better.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
thanks, but I do not have a KSB solenoid. been thinking of putting one on, though guys at the shop say it is less of a headache to run without it.
I appreciate you putting up all this info tying to help though, I really do.

afc is working. I have a nice black smoke comming out of the tail pipe just about all the time, even on the highway cruising. 6psi @70mph with about 1000 egt
Nice layer of soot on the tail pipe.
If you get behind the truck when I start it, you need an umbrella as to not get showered with coal.

Back