181 or 188

Diehard Ram

Sled puller no more
What cam do you recomend for this application. I have a 98 12v that i will be building very soon. I have Mahle 286110 big bowl pistons. I have the head ported and polished. Studs top and bottom. This truck will be mostly a street truck. And i might pull it in the 2.5 work stock class. With my head being ported can i tow with the 188 or do i need the 181.I will be using your valve springs. I just need to know what can i need from you.

I think the 188 is better. If your pistons are already cut, you might be able to go another step up and still tow comfortably. How much are you planning on towing?

I'm trying to make the same decision. I "heard" that on a stock 24v block and head that's not been decked you could run a 188 without fly cutting pistons as long as you checked your clearance. Is this true?

24valves due to a lower rocker ratio have less clearance issues being that when the piston is at tdc they have less lift.

I have seen trucks with .025 cut between the head and block fit a 188-220 without issue.
Even if it is a little tight, just retard it a degree two and the intake will clear fine.

On the 12v run the 188-220 , you will love it. Look for.030" min. If you are sure your valve depth is the same cylinder to cylinder. If they vary a lot you will need a better cushion. If you have any more in depth questions, call us Monday.

Cheers,

Zach

Last edited:
Thanks for the quiock post. I was going to fly cut them anyway, just to make sure.
The max i tow is my pullin truck. i think it's around 13,000 combined. Thats truck and trailer.

If you are going to flycut them anyway, go for .040" keep the fly-cuts to a minimum