188 in a stock 1stgen?

ahale2772

ive got some power plans for the future, but for now I want to throw a cam in my truck to see if I can get any more power out of a relitivly stock tune. (healthy lift pump, cranked VE, intercooled, HX35/12, smokes like a train, 45psi boost usually, lots of egt's)

anyways, In the future ill be going to a fully ported and polished head with an individual runner manifold (allready have all this)

for now... I was thinking about maybe doing a dyno run before and after to see what a cam does to the fueling charicteristics of a VE powered engine.

questions... kinda of a newb when it comes to flycutting... will I need to flycut the pistons with a 188/220? I'm hesitant about doin a 181/210 because I will be going big in the future, and on a college budget, 600$ cams arn't easy to afford

also, Im pretty fond of having an almechanical truck, will I need to run a different lift pump if I switch to 24v tapets? ...do I really need to run 24v tapets? even if i'm religous about running good oil with ZDDP?

thanks!

I'm also interested in this, though under slightly different circumstances.

:EDIT: According to BC, the 24v tappets don't interfere with the fuel pump lobe and still allow you to run a mechanical pump.

Last edited:
wouldnt it be nice to have a befor/after on a stock ish truck that struggles from the normal high boost-high EGT?

I hope I dont need to eliminate it, I was just told they were too wide from someone, it may have been a rumor, I like the stock LP even if I only use it as a pusher down the road...

CR tappets are the ones that sometimes have interference issues with the fuel pump lobe.

the 188-220 will work great on a VE truck because it has such an aggressive bottom end. It will make more power earlier where it needs to be on a VE. You should not need to fly cut anything, unless you have taken more than .020" off of the head. Even then you can back it up a degree and probably fit it in just right.

Use the 1.3" 24v tappets for the best results. they will work fine with the lift pump.

If you need anything else, hit us up.

Zach

Thanks for the info! :bow:

The flycutting was worrying me more than anything.

Thanks Zach,

Gald to hear it will work OK.

I think Ill be giving you a call this week:rockwoot:

Zach,

called your shop yesterday hoping to snag a 188 before you were sold out for a month, didnt get one, but I was told that the 181 would be fine if not better for a VE.

now Im confused, I dont mind waiting for a month but will a 181 do better?? ...or will it just be "just as good"

again, plans are to get as much air out of a stock ported head with the log cut off, 5x18's and a decently big single if not a small set of twins.

truck will pull ocasionally, no drag racing, mostly daily driver duty, not too much towing

thanks!

Do you have the stock 1st gen lift pump or the lowpresure piston pump? if its the 1st gen one do you have a fuel pressure gauge? My truck would suck it to 0psi instantly even with a brand new pump until i went to the piston style it held 15-20 all day long

ive got a second gen pump with a boostrefrenced mallory regulator, set a 20psi usually