1978 Ford onto newer frame?

ACFarmer

On to the next project
I've got a factory 4 door long bed 78 Ford F-350. Its currently a 2wd. Wanting to convert it to a diesel and 4x4. Factory 4 door long bed 70's frames are hard to find so I dont really want to cut it up. I was wondering if it would be possible to set the body on a 99 and up Ford chassis? Give me the updated suspension and what not. Anybody know if it would even be close?

Its pretty close. If your not in too big of a hurry I'll have my SuperCab project on an '05 chassis this winter and can tell you exactly. One of the reason I stopped working on it was the chassis work punch list was just getting longer and longer... now I have an '05 extended cab chassis. LOL

Sure I lost some work in doing this, but its for the better.

I think it would be easier to do the suspension and engine swap than using the newer frame the 70's frames are plenty strong and are alot flatter than the newer Super duty style frame, a OBS frame 95-97 would be a easier swap in my opionion just my 2 cents. Either way I love the 70's Fords and it will be a great swap.

I think it would be easier to do the suspension and engine swap than using the newer frame the 70's frames are plenty strong and are alot flatter than the newer Super duty style frame, a OBS frame 95-97 would be a easier swap in my opionion just my 2 cents. Either way I love the 70's Fords and it will be a great swap.

It depend on what his goals are. For most I wouldn't really disagree with that statement - I know for my goals - I needed the strength of the new frame, wanted an easy coil over suspension because I plan on concentrating my time on other unique factors to the truck and didn't want to engineer it all from the ground up.

IMHO it is just as hard to get the body straight on the new frame versus just changeing the front to coil suspension or even like a afermarket coil over syle setup IIRC rugged country makes a nice setup, but either way is alot of hard work. Good luck with the project.
:Cheer::Cheer:

It's not hard to make the 70 frame a fwd I did it in like two 8 hr days. I think that kind of stuff is half the fun. And you can say I did it. You can check out my thread it is the 72 ford cc. Also I think the frame rails are way better on the 70s frames compared to the newer ones. That's my 2cents

Anybody know if it would even be close?

Anything is close with a welder and sawzall!!!

You've got the '78, so get somebody with a newer truck to come over and set the two side by side and start measuring. There's plenty of them trucks around here lol

On second thought,
If you go with a 99-04 ford you arent gaining anything suspension wise, it will still be leaf sprung in the front. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but everyone wants 78 ford dana 60's for swap material since they have real wheel bearings and not unit hub BS. Unless you are gonna go with the '05 and newer front radius arm and coils system, I would be more inclined to stick with the 78 frame...just my $.02. Oh and I'll lend a hand if you need it, sounds like a cool swap either way you do it!!!

Last edited:
The reason for the swap was to keep the original 78 frame intact since they are hard to find factory. I have a 00 Ford 4 door long bed sitting here now thats been rolled. Just havent had the time to get them both to the house and measure, was hoping somebody else already had done it lol. Another reason it to get newer suspension components. Leaf sprung front ends are fine with me. I prefer them. I just want it to be solid, just want to end up with about 33" tires and if I get it done, it will be getting a gooseneck in it to pull the pulling tractor every now and then.

It's not hard to make the 70 frame a fwd I did it in like two 8 hr days. I think that kind of stuff is half the fun. And you can say I did it. You can check out my thread it is the 72 ford cc. Also I think the frame rails are way better on the 70s frames compared to the newer ones. That's my 2cents

Having the '05 frame sitting next to the '79 frame I tend to disagree on that. And if I was doing a simple swap I would say that the '79 frame would be sufficient - but I've changed up my plans and goals quite a bit since I last updated my build thread on PSN. Think CR injection and 1K rwhp in a Diesel Power Challenge capable truck chassis. I'll be spending enough time and money on the engine/transmission - having a bolt on high quality, high strength suspension is going to be nice to allow me to concentrate on other things. If I made the whole truck from scratch it probably would never get done. LOL Just the route I chose for my reasons.

If you want to make the drive out here - I can show you the two frames - they are less than 100' apart at the moment - and then you can make your own decisions to figure out if its what you want to do - it might be worth the trip for you. Just head East on 70 and turn North when you hit Springfield. LOL

If you want to make the drive out here - I can show you the two frames - they are less than 100' apart at the moment - and then you can make your own decisions to figure out if its what you want to do - it might be worth the trip for you. Just head East on 70 and turn North when you hit Springfield. LOL

That very well might be worth my time.

If I had to do mine swap over.I would use the late model frame not the 78.I have had mine loaded to 26.000lb with the pulling sled we had.After doing air ride and some other reinforceing to the stock frame it does good now.

Dale