1996 GMC 6.5TD to Cummins Conversion Help

IRAQLEP

I currently own a 1996 GMC 2500 Suburban 4X4, which has a blown transmission and the injection pump is bad. The engine blows lots of black smoke, but throws no error codes. I love my Suburban, but sick of the electronics engine issues with the 6.5 TD, codes, FSD, etc. Question, I would like to convert this truck to a Cummins Diesel and transmission, with appropriate front and rear axles. Can anyone advise me if this is an unreasonable, or impractical venture? If it can be done at a reasonable price can anyone recommend who can do this job for me? The truck is located in western North Carolina. I am currently deployed in Iraq till August 2010, but will be home in March 2010 and could have the truck transported to a shop of choice for the work. Any suggestions or advice would be welcomed! I really enjoy my Suburban as my family station wagon, safety. etc.

Thanks

Ed

it is very reasonable. if you have any fab skills or have a friend that does you could probably save yourself a few grand in labor from a shop. every shop that does these told me there is about 150 man hours in a proper conversion. me and my brother started pulling the 6,5 friday night and i drove back to the city sunday night ready to go to work monday morning. of course everything wasnt done professional as we needed to move the motor back to get the fans to fit and shorten/lengthen drive shafts. if you have the down time i would try and do it yourself with a couple friends help.

if you can find a donor truck there is a couple in the for sale section on here. that way you have everything you need, just transfer it over to your body with some mods.

if it is an auto then you can either buy an adapter plate to use your factory trans or just use either a dodge with manual valve body or stand alone ecu.

at a min i believe you have to use a 3in body lift depending on oil pan. if you have a suspension lift on it already then you should be fine its just trying to clear the front diff since it sets so high.

there is several on here that has done this to several vehicles any other questions just ask.

also try using the search function cause there is several of your questions have already been answered on here from others doing the same thing.

thanks

michael

Ed glad you joined up!! the guy above it right. You can use your stock tranny with an adapter from advanced adapters. I recommend 94-96' Dodge with Cummins and 47RH which is a manual VB. But the stocker will work. Search around and gather some info. I know Beans Diesel (615-563-7800/7801) does cummins conversions and since Garmons diesel is not far from you, try and give them a call at 404-557-4972 as well. Ask about cost and if a common rail might be a bettter option than 12v.

Dan

I did mine which was a 6.5l and a '97 burb 2500 for a buddy of mine, but his was a 454. the axles will hold up no problem. i do have a 95 12v/47rh/241dld for sale if you are interested. PM me for more info. i made a few peices to make the factory push-button t-case bolt up and work in the right position, and the factory shifter to work correctly too.:woohoo:

Joe

Joe I'll pass your info to Ed at work tomorrow. He is very serious about doing this.

Daniel

I did mine which was a 6.5l and a '97 burb 2500 for a buddy of mine, but his was a 454. the axles will hold up no problem. i do have a 95 12v/47rh/241dld for sale if you are interested. PM me for more info. i made a few peices to make the factory push-button t-case bolt up and work in the right position, and the factory shifter to work correctly too.:woohoo:

Joe

Thanks for the reply. I am simply researching the matter at this time and will make a decision when I return to the states in March. I will then contact you if you still have these parts. I first need to get with someone that will do the job for me.

Thank you, and Thanks Dan!

Ed

swap

The guy who works on my truck actually does the Cummins swaps for people in ohio. He's had people from all over bring their trucks to get a swap. He is very reasonable and his labor is CHEAP! Not to mention he is one of the best mechanics around. He's got all the 12v parts and donors around there you could think of. His name is Blake Yoder and you can reach him at (330)466-7942. Tell him Josh Jackson sent you!

swap

New to the forum.

Just tore apart a 94 suburban 6.5td today.I'm gonna try to do the conversion myself.I found a 95 dodge 4x4 auto with 114k.(wrecked)
Will that dodge tranny match up to the transfer case in the suburban?

Any tips and suggestions are welcome.
Thanks