1997 5speed 4x4, lookin for best towing tune up for mpg

jaybuller

USCG MK
just trin to get some of yall opinions on what i can do to get more mpg when towing my new trailer. right now i get 11.5 mpg. heres my setup.

15.5* timing, stock 215 injectors, #11 plate 3/4 forward, afc tuned so it just puffs a bit of smoke on takeoff. boost elbow and BHAF filter. everything else stock, 3.55 gears, 305/70/16 all terrain tires. it is a 4x4 5 speed also.

I am looking for ideas on what i can change around or add such as injectors, turbo fuel plate things like that for better towing mpg. just let me know cause i dont think 11 mpg is good at all for such a small travel trailer. btw the trailer is a 23' pull behind that tips the scales at a mere 4050 pounds. here a pick of the set up.

100_3016.jpg

11.5 is pretty good. I get 12 with my '99 pulling, and have 4.10 gears. The '97 has the auto with 4.10s, and gets 10-11 with the same trailer.

You need to consider wind resistance. Takes power. Power takes fuel. Weight isn't that much of a factor here. If the wind hits my empty bullrack right, it can and WILL pull harder than a fully loaded one. Your trailer has a lot of frontal area to contend with.

You already have a BHAF, so I what I would do, is improve the exhaust flow. An aftermarket exhaust manifold will lower your peak boost by 5psi (both of my ATS manifolds did).

Drill out the divider to wastegate all 6 cylinders (only 3 stock) in the turbine housing to relieve more back pressure when 'gate is open.

Free flow (straight through muffler or no muff) and gut the cat.

When you get around to changing the diff and t-case fluid, go with synthetic. Things will run cooler as well. The OEM trans fluid is already synthetic.

Make sure the tires are close to max cold psi. Or, 5psi less than max. Less rolling resistance and cooler running tires.

thanks mabey i will go with the new exaust manifold? i have a 4" turbo back exaust, can you go into more about drilling out the divider? where is it? in the turbo itself? thanks for any info.

thanks ill try that, ill drill it out. i think ill also go with a manifold, yall recomend the ats or the BD?

Adjust your schedule and right foot to run 60mph. Thats what made the biggest difference for me. I picked up 2 to 2.5 mpg. :Cheer:

Sometimes a higher mph is needed to put the motor at its best efficiency. It all depends on where in the power band you are.

In your other thread you mentioned driving at 2200 Rpms in 4th. I would try 5th gear and 1900-2000 rpms. My mileage drops as soon as I spend anytime over 2100 rpms.

By the way, nice looking truck! :D

thanks ill try that, ill drill it out. i think ill also go with a manifold, yall recomend the ats or the BD?

the ATS arc flow and pulse flow manifolds made a huge difference, those are the two biggest points of restriction, my turbo also seems to spool quicker now, which I wasn't expecting either.

ill try the 5th gear and driving around 1900, that would put me somewheres around 65 to 70 mph though. i think mabey i need a 4.10 gear to put me at like 1900 rpms at 60mph

If you spend any time above 60-65mph empty, you won't want 4.10 gears with the 5spd. I'd go with 3.73 gears before anything else. RPMs are plenty high with 4.10s.