1998 vw tdi

jeremy153624

im looking at buying a 1998 vw tdi. just wondering if there is any major problems with this year or anything? its a 5 speed with 124000 miles on it. i appriciate any input. i know nothing about vws. just that they get great mpg. thanks!

its a jetta a forgot to mention. and they are asking 3900$ is this a good deal? new injection pump put on it a couple weeks ago. runs good. pretty peppy on low end

Last edited:
Ask for proof on the injection pump replacement...they start leaking about 100K miles then they take out rubber coolant hoses underneath the pump.

Check the engine coolant...it should be PINK....NOT orange or green.

Ask when the last time the timing belt was replaced...DO NOT TAKE THEIR WORD FOR IT get proof! The belts (water pump, serpintine, & timing), tensioner, and roller should be replaced every 60K miles on these cars (pre-99). If they did not replace ALL the parts (ex. just a timing belt not a tensioner or roller) pull it down and replace them all. If one fails its just as bad as a belt breaking. It will destroy your cylinder head. If it hasn't been done close to 120K miles... drive it as little as possible until you can get a TB kit installed. You can rent the tools to do it from a member on TDIclub.com I have them right now LOL Also if you need to do a TB go ahead and do a water pump at that mileage because all the TB stuff has to come off to a do a water pump on those cars.

RUST! These cars (pre-99) rust TERRIBLY...I knew mine had a lot of rust when I bought it I was ok with it...figured I'd fix it little by little.....NOPE....its too far gone. I'm gonna do my best to make it last 2-2.5 years so its paid for itself twice and them I'm going to part out the drive train and buy a 99+. So check the underside of the car, particularly the rockers & subfloor and use that to bargin on price if needbe.

Also the EGR systems like to clog the intakes on these cars to the point of where they are trying to suck air through a straw. Use a pair of channel locks to pull the hose off the intake just behind the valve cover and check to see if the intake has been cleaned out recently. Not a bad job just time consuming and NASTY!

Join up @ TDIclub they are VERY helpful and have a WEALTH of knowledge comparable to our guys here!

Parts can be had @

DieselGeek.com
IDparts.com
KermaTDI.com
Boraparts.com

Last edited:
ok im for sure it has a new injection pump. and why shouldnt the antifreeze be any color but pink?

The VW coolant is a lifetime coolant and colored pink, it does not mix well with others.

BTW, I have the belt tools, and will rent them.

The VW coolant is a lifetime coolant and colored pink, it does not mix well with others.

BTW, I have the belt tools, and will rent them.

Correct on the coolant.

Do you have a master kit of tools, because ALH vs AHU are a little different...not quite sure what but I know they are.