1st Gen gauge mount ideas

Highfinance97

Garofalo Enterprises
I would like to start putting some gauges in my 91, We put the 2 gauge pod on the A piller in the 93 but it make the gauges face up too much and i sit really low B/C im small LOL

Id like to see what you guys have done

Look over on at Jim Lane's Gallery on DTR, he has some good ideas. I have seen some on top of the dash on the right hand side. I have also seen some mounted where the ash tray was.

get a dash pod for a 94-98 2nd gen and just rework the bottom contour with a dremel or tool of choice to fit the shape of the 1st gen dash.

Jim Lane's is (I think) the discontinued Banks dash pod. Banks used to make a 3 and a 4 gauge pod, but they have been discontinued for a couple of years. I saw on one of the diesel sites (maybe DTR) where one of the guys had built a custom dash pod out of sheetmetal that held 5 gauges, IIRC. I am going to build a 4 gauge, sheetmetal dash mount for my 92 soon. I prefer the dash mount over the pillar mount. I find the pillar mount makes the a-pillar blind spot worse. With the dash mounts the blind spot created by the gauges blocks my view of part of the hood and nothing of the road (and I'm 5'9" and sitting on a seriously broken down driver seat).

I would like to start putting some gauges in my 91, We put the 2 gauge pod on the A piller in the 93 but it make the gauges face up too much and i sit really low B/C im small LOL

Id like to see what you guys have done

Get some Yellow Pages Mike! LMFAO.....

J/k

Why not the guage cups that Autometer sells?

This is what I currently have in my 92. Not shown is the fuel pressure gauge I added to the left of it on a VDO single gauge mount. That's why I want to build a 4 gauge mount. I modded a late 2nd gen mount to better fit the curve of the 1st gen dash. Some new brackets out of sheetmetal, some JB Weld to stick the brackets to the mount, and some Velcro strips to stick it to the dash (I didn't want to drill through the dash) and I was done.

Attachments

• 92 Dodge 001-resize.jpg
    92 Dodge 001-resize.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 35
The A-pillar gauge pod; best if moved down all the way to the dash.

Cut holes in the pattern that says "Cummins Turbo Diesel".

Cut holes in the bezel that mounts the Cargo Light and Overdrive buttons, and relocate the buttons.

Mount them in cups on the dash.

Mount them on the steering column.

Hey Begle!
I like the idea of sliding the A pillar pod all the way down. I have one to install, might try that!

The problem with sliding the Autometer pod all the way down is that doing so covers up two of the three screws that attach the trim piece to the pillar, so there's no way to sturdily mount the trim piece if you attach the pods to it first.

What I did was clamp the pod to where I wanted it on the trim piece, then I drilled four holes straight through the pod and trim. I inserted a machine screw through each hole, and put a nut on the trim-side of the machine screw. Then I tightened the screws so they were soley responsible for holding the pod to the trim.

I then JB welded the nuts to the backside of the trim piece. After the JB Weld dries, it allowed for the removal and reinstallation of the pod from the trim piece seperately.

So I install the trim piece with all three screws, then I install the pod seperately.

you could also shim the tops of the gauges with some rubber so the faces point downward more for a quick fix