1st gen gurus needed!!

jon28

hey guys my dad has a 90 12v ve, that is now intercooled with intercooler system off of 93, he has 1 turn of fuel,no timing,ddp power pin at deepest spot,5X.012 injectors, and 02 hx35 and before we put the intercooler in he was making 25psi of boost and now with intercooler hes only making 15 and says the truck is a dog until 3/4-WOT. does it just need more fuel since now it has an intercooler ohh and he has a holly black pump for his lift pump. so any help or ideas guys would be greatly!! appreciated hes kind of down now that he bought the iontercooler and truck runs worse than it did before. he is wondering if he should grind the afc lever to get full fuel. ohh and we are waiting on his egt guage he only has boost guage as of now

thanks guys
-Jon

check the ve for leaks,i put a ps cooler in mine and lost 2psi,heck remember before it was straight into the motor and now it has to fill the cooler with air when before it didnt

ya thats what i told him that now the boost has to travel alot! more so somes gonna be lost but just seems super low but hes checking all his boots tomorrow for leaks and everything else just to make sure

it was to have been checked and came out of a running driving truck but i went ot the shop and looked it over and found a boot with a small tear in it but its not all the way through the boot but i say add more fuel

The intercooler is expected to drop boost and throttle response, but not that much. I would leak test the intercooler first, then if nothing is there leak test whatever else might leak.

That's easier said than done; to do it for real requires some plastic caps to put over the intercooler ends, I would think that you can do it with some duct tape if you mess around with it... You only want 30 or so PSI during the leak test, unfortunately I'm betting that you'll have some pretty noticeable leaks that won't be too hard to find with soap and water.

well i know we have a radiator shop that he can test intercoolers as well so may just take a trip to him in case it does have a leak but there has to be one somehwere for it to drop that much

update on the truck he found one boot partially off and has since added 3 turns and is 1/4 turn away from run away but still only has 18-20psi of boost but the truck seems alot better overall he says but still sounds like an intercooler leak to me next thing is hes grinding 3/16ths off of the afc foot and putting manual cable on shutoff and we will see how it is then.
-Jon

With a grinded or aftermarket fuel pin and your current mods you should see at least 28-30psi of boost.

hes got a power pin set at deepest spot or so he says maybe we should check it but he wants to grind the afc lever and see wut happens

check the ve for leaks,i put a ps cooler in mine and lost 2psi,heck remember before it was straight into the motor and now it has to fill the cooler with air when before it didnt

shouldnt make a difference, has to be a leak either in fuel or air.

should be equally the same boost but we believe its a fuel pressure problem so tomorrow were doing fuel pressure tests and i'm checking all boots and having intercooler checked