1st gen guys, need some info on a project truck

ktmracer21

smart a$$
hey guys

ive been driving past a 1st gen rc lb on my way to the job about 300 times now before it clicked, project!

i havent stopped to look yet but im gonna guess its a 2wd gasser. my questions are
1, say it has a stick....can i use it behind a cummins?
2, motor mounts...were any of them interchangeable?
3, any differences between 1/2 and 3/4 ton as far as jammin a ppumped cummins in it?

just want to get an idea of what all is the same/different. plans are making it a shortbed street/strip toy ugly and fast

thanks!

Use anything from a 1st gen.

1. Too light duty for a project. I would even recommend that if it IS a cummins, get a NV4500
2. Use 1st Gen motor mounts on whatever Cummins 5.9L you use.
3. Nope. Maybe front core. It might not have the intercooler hole cut out.

What year? Real easy to check by driving by. 88-90 have a cross grille, not a lot of chrome. The 91-93's have a BIG cross and LOTS OF CHROME on the front. Also, the 88-91.4' have a 5 digit odometer where the 91.5-93 have a 6 digit odometer.

One thing to look out for is rust behind or on the front drip rail. Surface is ok, if it is deep, RUN AWAY! These things like to rust from the inside out.

You'll want the diesel suspension under it and the rear (they are a little stronger). There is a guy that used a stick out of a gasser and changed the input shaft but the problem is once you put any kind of torque to it thing inside will just start braking. As long as you have some steel and a welder you can make anything work.