1st gen p-pump with single battery ok?

89cumminstd

It's getting down to the nitty gritty with this p-pump swap I only have a few more things to do until it's ready. My question is will the truck be alright during winter with a single battery? I'm sure most of you know that first gens only came with one battery and that was plenty with a ve but the p-pumps seem a little harder to start.

My p-pumped 24V was fine in the winter as long as it was plugged in. On cold nights (below zero) if it didn't fire on the first couple cranks it was a crap shoot. This is with a brand new Napa Premuim battery.

I'm running on a single groupe 31 battery and 23° of timing on my truck. It fires up just fine at -5°f.

I've started it at -20 easily on one battery, other times it struggles at -5. Thats with a group 31. If I was DDing my truck still, I'd get a second battery in for winter time.

Never had a issue going out an starting mine this winter and I am not running a grid heater either. Yah took a bit of cranking but it started an that's with one battery. Not really much of a difference to worry about, all depends on the state of your battery really.

Yes for a DD two batteries will be preferred. Although it depends on how cold it get at your area and if you can keep it plugged in.

I'm running on a single groupe 31 battery and 23° of timing on my truck. It fires up just fine at -5°f.

ditto. same timing and a group 31 here. heck my truck sits for weeks at a time and fires right up.

Alright so it sounds like I'll be alright with a single if I keep it plugged in. I do have an extra battery tray I could install if it winds up not working. It's pretty cold in pa now it is -8 this morning.

my 89 ram charger has a 97 12v. Ive only ever run the stock ram charger battery. Works fine. Im from Virginia but doesn't get too cold out here in arizona, though i do take it up to the mountains sometimes and it starts just fine. I don't use the grid heaters, which can take a lot of juice off the top of your battery. It always fires right up.

I must be doing something wrong a few weeks ago it dropped to -15 and mine wasn't plugged in. Even with two batteries and grid heaters it wouldn't start.
Well after trying it a few times I wasn't going to kill the batteries so I plugged it in for an hour then started it.