1st gen vs. 2nd gen and 3rd ???????

biscuit87

ok guys not sure if this is the right place but here is my question.....

I have been a first gen dodge fanatic since i knew what trucks were haha!
im getting ready to start building one for the 2.6 class, but the part that i am kind of worried about before i dive in is i have yet to see one trully hook up pulling! (except the moon light truck but that thing is built to tilt)

the only thing that i can trully see being a huge difference is the front ends but does that trully make that big of a difference? i know 1st gens are lighter by a decently good amount but in the 2.6 class that should not be the problem seeing how every truck can weigh a max of 8,000 right? so what is it?

my truck will have a 47rh and will be p-pumped! as well as being an excab long bed. so tranny and fueling setup will not be a difference!....

ive searched all over and could night find an answer so i was hoping some of you could help me and thanks in advance!!!

1st gens are lightest of all. Hang a lot of weight.

The front leafs on the 1st Gen will need a traction bar....

ok fair enough but im trying to figure out why the second and third gens hook up so much better then the first gens? thanks for the advice though!

Would you really consider putting a 12v/47rh in a 3rd gen?

no im not sure why you would even ask that for it does not pertain to any sort of question being asked in this thread! however i was saying that i will be putting a Ppump and 47rh in my truck ! so i did not get a response of "well the ve wont flow enough fuel and the trannys wont hold" and to say that the engine and tranny will not be stock!

I think id brace the frame up some on a 1st gen. I think they are weaker than the 2nd and 3rd gen frames and have more flex. Im also not a fan of the leaf spring front end just because they dont seem to work well and hop a lot on the Fords. However, i think you could make it work, it will just take some work and maybe a little experimenting.

Eric

ok thanks i appreciate that down here in florida we have alot softer tracks then up north there we have alot of like almost sand tracks haha! i will definatly look into the bracing up the frame

I believe the later 1st gens do have a heavier frame 92-93 maybe. there is a p-pumped 1st gen around here that hooks hard and does pretty good I have not seen him pull recently but years ago it bounced really bad. I am planning on a 12 valve in a 1980 so if you figure it out let me know please

ok power wagon will do! see we have a first gen down here thats my buddys truck and it doesnt bounce to much granted i have never seen it pull on a hard track and our tracks are completely different down here in FL but ill have to look into this bouncing thing haha
anything else guys ?

I have one p pumped with nv4500. Bars both ways on rear axle nothing in from it hooks hard no bouncing with 1300 pounds on frontr. it is a regular cab also

biscuit87 I pull a first gen. give me a call 740-662-9931 I have pulled it for five years Danny Mansfield

I pull a first gen also. It just takes so time to get the bouncing figured out. Definately need a Dana 80, and a superduty front drive shaft!

You should have about 1,500lb to hang. Mine weighs 6300.

I pulled in Inverness Fl this Jan. and came within 20ft of the first place after I got the bouncing figured out.
From what other vidoes I have seen of Fl pulling the sleds are like dead weight and the tracks are loose.. automatic is the way to go for that.

Last edited:
thanks guys i really really appreciate all this help i will be going dana 80 in the rear drw and will also be having the 47rh behind it! and danny i will definatly be giving you a holler if any one else has any other advice id greatly appreciate it!

i had a guy tell me he didnt have any luck with front traction bars on his first gen so he took them off. he put these dual bilstein shocks on there and said that made all the difference in the world. i cant remeber exactly what shocks he said they were but ill find out next time i talk to him cause i want to get some.

i pull a first gen and i also would recommend getting the dana 80. i p pumped mine a couple weeks ago. im happy with how it runs. ive got the trans out now putting a clutch in. this is my first year pulling with it so im still working out all the bugs.

i run mine with no bars on front just rear and run bars on rear both way

Thanks Kyle for the questions :thankyou2: Thanks everybody for the answers :bow: I too am working on a 1stGen Puller. I have a 3rdGen, but I kind of was talked out of building that one, we'll keep that as a part-time Puller and full-time hauler.

Inverness's track this year was terrible as the day went on. Towards the end of the night the track prep was seriously lacking. Kind of understandable being a long day and all, but my 3rdGen bounced hard there as well. That was the track. My buddies 6.0 never bounces and his entire truck was hopping.

box the frame in to beef it up, especially where your traction bars mount. dual shocks up front, good quality shocks too, not cheap ones. if you come in 1500lbs light, dont hang it all up front, put a few hundred in the bed against the cab.