2001 12V problems...need help.

95cummins4x4

Shift Beers & Drink Gears
Ok guys a buddy of mine built a 2001 truck and dropped a 12V in it. Everything is taken care of except for a wiring issue. The tach and alternator are not working. He used a 24V harness. Since the alt. isn't working, the batteries don't have much juice, so they can't run the Airdog effectively and so on and so forth. It will run well for about 5-10 minutes. The reason I ask is, I'm looking to buy the truck since I flipped mine about 2 weeks ago. The truck is built to be around 650hp or so but we can't really tun it because we can't get it to run long enough. Thanks for the help guys.

Drop Brett( dzlfarmboy)a note as he did this swap in his 01 a while ago to a twin turbo 12v,maybe he can help.......Andy

well in the 24v trucks the cam sensor runs the alternator and tach does it not? WHat alternator are you running? the 24v or the 12v (v for valve not volt)

24v alternator because it's on the 24v harness. I'll ask him about the CPS. Thanks

You will need to take off the front cover of the 12v and grind out the hole where the timing pin goes through and bolt on the Cam Pos sensor adapter to bolt up the 24v cam sensor. Also you need to keep the ECM and relocate it somewhere. And you will need to switch cam shaft gears from the 24v to the 12v because the 24v gear has a tone ring bolted to the back side of the gear for the cam sensor to read for RPM and charging stuff. Give me a shout if you have any other questions.

Brett
410-490-6075

All of that is already done. Even the cam gear. Do you happen to have a wiring diagram on the cam position sensor relocation? Thanks

Sounds like you don't have the cam sensor in the right location or distance off of the gear.