2001 24v head porting???

Blue01Cummins

I blew my head gasket i am going to take the head off and have it fire ringed. i was wondering if there was any benifit to port the exhaust side. i am having this fire ringed becuase i plan on getting compund turbo setup. so if anyone could help me out with pictures or what others have done let me know thanks..

Only advice I can give you is while it's off do it right. I am wishing while I had mine off last time instead of just rings, springs, and valves I woulda went the hole nine yards and done the porting and milled the intake for a runner. So now it's coming back off again for that.

well thats what i was thinking and that is why i am having it fire ringed.. i wasnt planning on having the intake milled off till i tear down the bottom end and do new bearing and everything else...

I was pushed for money at the time I was doing mine. That was the limiting factor for me lol

gained 10psi off an exhaust port its worth doin if you have the money. if you dont do it, you"ll regret it. cant get the intake side unless you cut the head and thats big money but an exhaust port and polish is resonable and well worth it

Gained 10psi? I thought you typically lower boost pressure on a ported head to to higher flow.

The restriction on the exhaust side is still there (turbo), but with the heads ability to move more gas towards the turbine with less effort, it should drive the turbine harder. With a turbo driving harder, without an restriction being removed off the intake, boost should increase a bit.

i have a question when people take the front and rear freeze plugs out of the head and put boost lines to them what is that called and does that really help?

Is the turbo that large of a restriction to raise the exhaust port pressure a great amount even though it has been cleaned up as well? Granted the bearings and turbine design can dictate its flow efficiency.