2001.5 HO ECM Question

Goldshop

I have a 01.5 Dodge 3500 5.9, HO, 6 speed. The ECM that came in it has part number 3947412 stamped on it. It is hard to read the date stamped on the ECM. The date is either 03/21/00 or 08/21/00. I need to replace my ECM but every used auto parts yard I call ask if it is thru 6/25/00 or from 6/26/00. Are they asking about the date the truck was built or the ECM? Did the ECM with part number 3947412 come on both thru 6/25/00 or from 6/26/00 ECM's?
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Date of the ECM, it will differ from the date of the truck. You might be able to go to the dealer and get them to cross reference the part # to find out what version it is. A good Cummins dealer should be able to do the same.

It is the build date of the truck, which you will find on the drivers door or door jam.

Ed

Thanks for the replies. The truck is a cab & chassis. The date, weight, etc. on drivers door jam was added after the bed was installed. I contacted Chrysler Customer Assistance online and they emailed back "vehicle build date was April 3, 2001". And added:

"I do apologize but I do not have date information available. However, I
will escalate the file to our technical team who will look further into
this. Once I have an answer I will be in touch with you by email."

Thanks to your post I don't need to wait for their next email. I can start trying to find one from 6/26/00.

I don't have a core so I can't get one rebuilt. Does anyone know where I can get one for a good price without a core?

Wrecking yard... But that would most likely buy you a core.

Dodge Dealer would be my next step... But you already there...

I found a ECM out of a 2001 DODGE 3500 with a manual transmission without a HO engine, built from 6/26/00. The only difference is I have a HO engine. Both ECM have the same Cummins part number 3947412. Can I have it flashed to run in my truck?

Go ahead and run the SO (manual transmission) programmed ECM in your HO pickup.

The differences between early 01 and your later 01.5 is the cruise control (electronic on your pickup) and oil pressure (switch only on your pickup with the value shown on the gauge being calculated by the ECM). The earlier programming was for the vacuum operated cruise and "real" oil pressure.

If you get the wrong one , your cruise won't work and you'll get a check engine light - (no oil pressure on the 01.5).

Last edited:
Go ahead and run the SO (manual transmission) programmed ECM in your HO pickup.

The differences between early 01 and your later 01.5 is the cruise control (electronic on your pickup) and oil pressure (switch only on your pickup with the value shown on the gauge being calculated by the ECM). The earlier programming was for the vacuum operated cruise and "real" oil pressure.

If you get the wrong one , your cruise won't work and you'll get a check engine light - (no oil pressure on the 01.5).

Thanks Ol Blue. I'm going to buy the early 01 SO (manual transmission) programmed ECM so I can get my truck back on the road. I will keep looking for a HO ECM. Hopefully I can find someone to buy the SO ECM after I find one.

:rockwoot: You'll be perfectly happy with the SO ECM, but if you decide to sell it, give me a shout.

Like Homewrecker said, Bob Wagner can reflash the ECM to whatever you want. :ylsuper: