2001 dodge 2500 issues

Wsimmons37334`

Ive got a 01 cummins that i was wanting to put another programmer on it. I plugged it in and i have no signal through the diagnostic port. Can anyone help figure out what it is? Thanks

No signal what so ever? Or is do you get a message with a communication error?

I had a communitcation error on my 2000. I would plug in the programmer (Smarty), it would go through the boot up process, then would want me to keep switching the key on and off. I was told to check all the grounds to the ECM, battery terminals and was also told to remove the ABS fuse. Neither helped. I took the truck to a chrystler mechanic and he just cleaned up the terminals in the OBDII port. After that the programmer worked just fine.

no signal what so ever, it wont even turn on. I know it isnt the programmer as i have tried to plug a scanner on it as well and it wont read.

Get a pin out on your obd II there should be a power sounds like that's what ur lacking che k fuses cause I've heard of that being an issue also!!

Fuses, drivers side there is one that will disconnect the computer from everything, my truck wouldn't do anything.

Have you checked to make sure you are getting power across the fuses that are good pertaining to the related circuit?

Also, have you checked to make sure the wire that supplies power to the OBD II port is fully in the connector? Not pushed back enough to not make contact in any way?

On further thought, I have a wiring schematic a member here was kind enough to let me have. I can search the circuit for you tonight when I get home.

Last edited:
Have you checked to make sure you are getting power across the fuses that are good pertaining to the related circuit?

This is very good advice. Just yesterday I traced down not one but two problems with circuits in my '67 W200 w/upgraded modern wiring and fuses. Both of them were the fuse. Both looked good and checked good showing power going through them and no open circuit. But when installed nothing worked. I've had trouble with both for about a year or so. New fuses and all seems good for now so it's worth putting in new fuses just to make sure.