2002 ford oil comsumption

pmill15

I have a problem and hope yall can help me out with this 7.3 powerstroke diesel truck. I was wanting to know how can you tell if a diesel is burning oil from the crankcase. The truck engine was rebuilt and all internals was replaced and the truck didnt use no oil till I replaced the HPOP. The truck will either lose or burn one quart of oil every 83 miles and the truck will start in the coldest weather and it dont smoke and it runs great with all kinds of power. This is my first diesel truck and needing to know where I need to start at trying to find out where the oil is going to. I am also new to this site and hopefully get enough knowledge form this site to help other people out. The old gassers are easy to figure out where oil is going but this has me puzzled. I am needing to know where to go from here. Thanks:nail:

Im not real sure where its at on the 7.3, But pull the fuel return line off and crank it over for a second and see what color your fuel is. If its black then your injector orings are bad. We have been having alot of them go bad at work here recently on the dt466e's

Also I usually put like a white paint lid under the return line so you can see the color a little easier

Last edited:
your fuel filter will go black also when engine oil gets into the fuel system.

i agree on the orings

your fuel filter will go black also when engine oil gets into the fuel system.

Not on a 7.3 powerstroke!

No fuel is returned from the heads to the tank. Fuel pressure is regulated pre-head. On the 7.3 fuel is fed in one end of the head, the other end of the head has a plug. Remove the plug and cycle the key on to run the fuel pump, see if fuel flowing out of the head is black.

Last edited:
Hey folks, I have got to say thank you and thank you and I removed the plug and the fuel had a black color to it. I looked at some injectors online and these Orings on the outside of the housing there are 3 of these orings. These 3 orings on the outside of the housing is these the ones I need to replace or are there some more inside that I cant see that will have to be replaced. Thanks again

Just the outside o-rings. Do all 8 injectors while you're at it!

Orings and something else

Hey Folks, the orings are there any special place to purchase these orings at or at any parts places. I want to replace them with some good quality orings. Also I purchased a kit for this diesel truck but havent installed it is a propane system that suppose to help HP,Torque,fuel mileage and helps burn the fuel better. This was a $2,500.00 system but I got at a good price for 400.00. I wanted to know if these system works or will they harm the engine. Thanks again:nos:

Return the propane set up if you can..You can get just as good of power with a good tune on a chip.LPG is too much $$ and you wont be saving any money in the long run.

Back