2003 Excursion Diesel, F-450 front axle?? Hub Questions

600 Megawatts

Many Irons in the Fire
Ok, so I have a 2003 diesel excursion. I cant stand these powerlock hubs... the diapragm has a hole in one, the other one is stiff... they dont engage when I want them to, then when they do, one or both will stick engaged.... blah blah blah..

I am no yuppie, and I dont mind one bit getting out of the truck and locking the hubs. So I am looking at some Warn manual locking hubs. They do not list a model for the Excursion, but they have a manual only hub for the F-350 and Superduty to 2003, 30 spline axle....

Is this what I have in the excursion??? I am gonna pull a hub and count splines tonight, but has anyone done this mod yet ????

Zino

Your front suspension is the same as the trucks.

If you want it to stop like a race car....throw the F550 brakes on the front while you have it blown apart.
All the parts bolt on and you get huge rotors and bigger calipers out of the deal.

I am pretty sure that the 550 brake thing wont work..I had some interest in doing it a long time ago..but I cannot remember what the deal was with it..

I am pretty sure that the 550 brake thing wont work..I had some interest in doing it a long time ago..but I cannot remember what the deal was with it..

Could it have been larger wheels were needed to clear the calipers?

think thats what it was..the 10 bolt deal..

halo..I run 22.5's clearance wasnt the issue.

Maybe I shouldda said 450....only got 4 hours sleep last night so I'm not 100% today. LOL
Anyway...it is most definitely a bolt on swap...on 4wd's only though.

Not in 03 like the OP's Excursion is...they were 8 lug back then. Yes...the new ones are 10 lug.

Crap, Adam...Google it...it's easy.

Count em...........
Ford_F-450_Crew_cab_435_0.JPG

i was thinking 05^ by mistake..

i still dont think the 450 brakes will work..they are different

They'll work man...there's quite a few people running them. I read about it a lot on *cough*TDS*cough* when I was researching running them on my 2wd...which will not work as I found out.

I can't remember the whole parts list but I think it was rotors, calipers and caliper mounting brackets....maybe some other small stuff but it was too long ago to remember.

I have been searching to find any truth to this for a while. I have upgraded my front and rear rotors and calipers. But trying to stop 40" tires just takes a toll on them. Would like to have bigger rotors!!!

99-04 450/550 trucks are 8 lug, with the axle being 8x170mm bolt pattern, and the DRW spacer/adapter being 8x225mm on them.

05+ are 10x225mm.

As for putting 99-04 F-450/550 rotors and calipers on a 250/350/X, I'd love to find out if it will work.......just haven't had a chance to pull apart one of our 450s or 550 and swap the parts over to my 350 to see if it will work or not.

I don't know if Ford had used different knuckles on the 450/550......if the knuckles are the same as the 250/350/x, the swap will work.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IT WILL WORK !

*bdh*:bang*bdh*:bang*bdh*:bang*bdh*

LOL

I agree that I think it will.....I can't see Ford using different knuckles in 99-04...... :D

what it looks like from the other site ois that you would be better off just swapping the whole front axle out with the 450..but that wont work if you have ESOF..from that post I gathered the parts are very expensive and no one actually completed the project..

Rich if you KNOW that it will work do you KNOW where some pictures or reviews are?

No Adam, I don't know where pics are.
Read posts 3, 6 and 7 in that link I sent you...that guy has it done to his truck. Maybe he could answer your questions if he's still active over there.
I quit looking into it when I found out it won't work on a 2wd.

You don't need ESOF.....doesn't matter if the axle has it or not, simply plug the vacuum lines. I had ESOF......many years ago.

Most likely have to swap gears in the F-450 axle to run it.

that poster(3,6and 7) did a full 450 axle swap if you read further..

"Just measured them, the D-50 knuckle is 10" center to center on the caliper ears, the F-450 is 10 5/8" center to center on the caliper ears. I installed a complete F-450 axle under my truck, so I never encountered the caliper issue. The bearing hubs appear to be the same. I have a big Ford savage yard(Michigan Truck) down the road, I can check on the knuckles if want."

the person who was trying to do it to the factory 350 axle looks like he never completed it..or if he did..didn't post back when asked..he also said the knuckles looks to be 5/8" too small.

errrr,,,, ok guys... glad to see all the activity on the post!!! ......buuuuuuttt.... I am not really looking to put huge 550 brake rotors on just yet... just trying to find out if the locking hubs that fit an F-250/350/superduty will work on my Ex ..:lolly:

That being said, I dont mind the info on the bakes, cuz I wouldnt mind upgrading them too.,.... but thats down the road... right now, its summertime, and the dam hubs are stuck locked and diesel is $4.80 a gallon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nail::nail::nail: