2003 F550

plowman61

Does anyone know where I can get a complete spec. sheet for a 2003 4x4 F550? We're having troubles with the front end amongst other things and would like to know the model.

Thanks for any help.

The truck makes a terrible noise while the hubs are locked, kind of like a ratcheting sound. It seams like a bad hub but they were both replaced with spares and the noise is still there. One axle joint was questionable so it was replaced, this did not solve the issue. The diff cover was pulled and the gears where inspected. The only thing I noticed was where the cross pin goes through the carrier it looks like there is a small bolt holding it in place. If there is supposed to be a bolt holding the pin in it's gone. The local Ford dealer faxed over a breakdown of the front end but it was very unclear. I'd like to know the model of this axle. It looks like a Dana 60 but I'd like to be sure.

The only thing I can think of now is maybe one of the spare hubs is also bad.

Bad U joint in front D shaft?

U joints will make a clicking sound under load when they're on the way out.

The only time i have EVER had one that ratcheted was from a rusted hub.

I know the driveshaft and transfer case are not the problem. It's something in the front end. I haven't had a chance to work on it, we shipped it off to the dealership for other issues it has.

Any chance anyone knows if the cross pin is suppose to have a bolt holding it in place?

Back