2003 popping/ cutting out in high rpm

CHIp07

so I have an 2003 so motor. it has recently snowed up here, so naturally play time. I have noticed when I put my foot into it and getting into the high rpm range the truck will start popping or cutting out kinda. the rpm will bounce up and down 2500 to 3400.*smarty is the new tnt r on sw 1 tq 2 timing 3 rail default.have had timming on 2, 3, 4 all with same result. also tried uping rail pressure to 3 moderate.trying to figure out if it would be a smarty issue or if it could be something else. any help appreciated. also put truck back to stock and can not get it to pop at all but only hit 19000 rail pressure(stock)

Hey Rob, your video is set to "Private", can't be viewed.

I think you've had this issue for a while right?
Do you still have the Van Aiken module installed? Have you tried removing that and just running the Smarty?

If you have rail and lift pump fuel gauges, what do they read when the engine pops?

at the pop in the video it hits 25xxx. fuel pressure is 13 psi. I'll try to fix that video thing thing. the van Aken has been shut off since I installed tnt r. haven't had the popping problem since that dyno last.

My 03 does the same thing. It did it with the original TNT, I switched to the old TNT-R and it stopped doing it. I have now had to switch to the new TNT-R and it is doing it again. I think it has to do with the tuning and not the truck. I tried every catcher and combo and it still does it. I am going to UDC and hope I can tune it out. You can figure out when it does it and drive around it. Mine does it real bad if I get on it hard and it down shifts and it will start popping out the exhaust and the truch jumps around.

at the pop in the video it hits 25xxx. fuel pressure is 13 psi. I'll try to fix that video thing thing. the van Aken has been shut off since I installed tnt r. haven't had the popping problem since that dyno last.

Your fuel sounds fine.

If you have the stock valve springs, I was thinking maybe you are getting valve float at high rpm but you mentioned that setting the ECU to stock fixes the problem.

I wonder if the rail pressure relief valve is bypassing occassionally at high rpm and high rail pressure but your rail gauge is not catching it.
Have you tried blocking off the PRV?
I have a PRV block off fitting if you want to borrow it to try it.

yeah I was think it was possibly the prv. I would like to test it with that fitting if I can grab it from ya some time.

Try running lower timing. If I run Smarty on sw9 it does exactly that if I kick it down. So I either run sw8 or adjust the timing down in the options. With UDC, I have been able to tune that out of it.

I run into this issue every once in awhile now, before UDC while i was tuning with the SSR it was something that would happen if I was in 2nd gear and went WOT to fishtail or just get through something quick.

When I first started with UDC this issue went away however most my UDC tunes were fairly mild.

Now when I'm running a high HP tune even though everything is running better including better cruising egt's I will get this if I go WOT. If I ease into it no popping or anything strange just good solid power and managable egt's.

At first I thought it was related to load or rpms but for my situation it is not, it will do it at totally different ends of the rpm range and load makes no difference.

For me I'm left to believe it is my PRV or my fuel pump. My reasons for thinking it's one of these 2 things is because when it pops is when rail pressure is high (My highest RP value in UDC is 23,207) and my fuel pressure gauge will acctually drop right down to 5psi maybe even lower if I stayed on it.

I have a BD Max Flow for a lift pump which is being replaced with a Fass 150 and to be installed soon hopefully, I also plan on ordering T&C's 30,000 PRV. I'd like to even used a PRV block off to test but can't seem to find one. If neither of those fix it then I know for sure it's tuning, in the mean time I'll still be trying to tune this out.

Thats my long winded version of where my trucks at with the popping/missing situation.

Back