2005 48re stuck in lockup/overdrive issue

24vbummins

First ill give the backstory, than the current problem that is occurring. Any help would be appreciated.
So approx 3 years ago the transmission exploded in my fathers 05, Front direct clutch exploded into several hundred pieces and ruined the splines on the input shaft. My father and I, having never built a trans, purchased the atsg manual, a suncoast m3ga kit, a new input shaft, and a dpc single disk and got to work. We rebuilt the whole trans using the manual as a guide.
It went together well however since it was built the transmission always had a problem going into overdrive, once in overdrive everything is fine but you have to lift in order for it to go in. If you keep your foot in it the trans will shutter shifts back to 2nd, than bounces back into 3rd. It will do this multiple times and eventually the converter will look up and when you let off it will go into overdrive and act like all is normal.
Now I have never put gauges on it and my dad drives 8 miles a day back and forth to work so he just kind of lives with it is his daily driver as well, so it has approx 32k miles on it. We both thought it could have been a valvebody problem so he purchased a brand new valvebody from suncoast last year but it didn't change a thing. The weird thing about it is that it has never changed from the day it was built. Never got any worse or any better, but when cold it will shift correctly into overdrive once or twice. But once it builds up any heat it goes right back to normal.
Today driving it into work the converter locked up and wouldn't unlock. Pop it back into neutral and it is fine until the next time the converter locks. This evening when cold it would stall as soon as it was put into drive, but when left to warm up it unlocks to drive it until it hits 45 and the converter gets stuck again.
So i guess in this whole thing I am asking:
1. Anyone have any ideas what could cause the converter to stick. Fluid looks good as it has since the trans was built. Never had any major clutch material or anything else in the pan.
and 2. Any ideas what could cause my overdrive issue.
I should have done more troubleshooting before posting but I could use some ideas. I've been planning to pull the overdrive section back off to disassemble and inspect but I could use a little guidance if anyone else has ever dealt with something like this.
Thank you in advance.

Back