2005 fuel/injector tests

Ridemywideglide

Diesel NON-Pro
I'll start by saying I don't generally work on anything newer than 2 gen 24v, so I'm a bit outta my depth here.

I've got a 2005 5.9 that a buddy of mine has been getting the run-around on with a "diesel mechanic", to the tune of about $4500

Truck will not start without starter fluid. Runs like a raped ape once started.
First inspection with my Genesys 5 system, shows 1166psi cranking pressure. When running it shows about 6500-7000 at idle. Also tried unplugging the FCA, same result on crank, would not start.

Previous "mechanic" said it needed new injectors. No change.
Then said it was the high pressure pump. No change.

Trying to get all the info from my buddy that I can, he told me that the other guy would tighten up the #2 connection at the head (crush tube he called it) and it would start fine for a couple days until progressing back to no start.
So I ordered up a HPC tube thinking it might be that simple. Other guy re-used all the original tubes in the supposed injector swap.

Well that tube is mangled on the thread end, but the rest looks visually ok.
I put a cap (from Geno's) on the HPR #2 port and crank away. Still getting 1166-1248psi cranking. And now there is a puddle of fuel under the truck. Seems the open #2 injector is pouring out fuel while cranking without the line on it.
Is this the checkball inside the injector?

I'll be checking them all, but I did not expect to see fuel coming back out of the injector connector hole.

Still working on recovering the original injectors from the other guy, and don't have much hope in it ever happening.

Any help/insight is appreciated.

Thanks
Brad

On Edit.
I unplugged the FCA again after removing and capping the #2 line. Started right up, hit 27Kpsi almost instantly.

Last edited:
Be sure the injector is torqued down. Fuel out the injector is normal the return is pushing the fuel out hope you didn't do that with the FCA unplugged you'd have a fuel soaked mess! Easier to just unscrew the injector terminal on top. Also you can run it with the valve cover off no mess! Sounds like a leaking cross over or bad injector! Stop using starter fluid bad very bad!
If the guy tightened the tube and it ran fine for a while there's your issue. Any fuel in the oil?

i had the same problem on my brothers 2006 truck,i put new fleece injectors with new crossover tubes and its being fine ever since,i would check with your buddy to find out what injectors they put on his truck,hopefully its not Pensacola injectors

Thanks for the replies. I know starter fluid is bad, only used it a couple times to get it around the yard and in the shop.
No i didn't have the FCA unhooked during that part of the testing. Only before I had anything opened up.

The tubes in there that were supposedly changed, were all chewed up on the line connector ends. Looked like someone tried to pry them out with a screw driver, slipped, and gouged all the threads up.
It's starting and running now, but heavier-than-before smoke on hard acceleration according to the owner. If we can get the original injectors back from the other mechanic, I can at least do some swapping to try and isolate the problem.
I don't think he's going to swallow a set of injectors and tubes after supposedly just having them changed.. I'm not sure what injectors went in, if any even did, I was just told "a set of used injectors."

Unfortunately used cr injectors are always a gamble. I personally know of a set that was installed after only being run for dyno testing that didn't survive the swap. I think shipping did them in personally.

96 3500 5x018 7mm dvs 62fmw

A set of used injectors?:doh::bang
Customer screwed up now needs to do it again the right way! Doubt he'll get anything out of the douche that did it the first time!