2005 with a knock in Cylinder #2

dangerous06

diesel tech
Looking at a friends dodge and he had the engine built 11k ago and now has a knock. No smoke, oil tested no metal, Injectors replaced still there no codes.
Any Ideas? I'm thinking valve seat.... Any second opinions Valve cover pulled nothing obvious in valve train.
This occurred while pulling a hill 3/4 up then knock he has no programmer all stock.

Last edited:
Seized wrist pin? If a valve seat is bad enough to make a knock from the valve hitting the piston your valve lash on that valve should be way out if you can't see it visually.

How do you know it is coming from #2? Disconnect the wires on #2 injector and see if that changes anything.

Can u elaborate on sound of the knock and location. May help diagnosis if fuel knock or bottom end knock. If u take off intake u will here valve popping back and same if disconnect exhaust.

Waiting on truck to be towed to my house all info came from the shop trying to fix it. I'll start from scratch when it gets here!

I just picked up a rebuilt 2003 engine that I never got to hear run.
Same deal, has a knock that couldn't be pinpointed, guy just said screw it, if it blows it blows.
20k later, noise was (reportedly) still there, owner got disgusted and is putting a 12 valve in the truck, so he sold me this '03 engine.

I'm on the fence about it because while I was there I saw the truck.
I noticed that the down pipe flange has a chunk missing out of it and it was leaking to the firewall (couldn't see it in the truck) and I am now wondering if the "knock" wasn't actually exhaust blowing out of this piece of missing pipe flange.

I mean, this engine ran 20k on a rebuild with this "knock", you'd think it would have imploded by now if it were serious?

Sorry for the hijack, if any. :D

Mark.

I just picked up a 07 with a knock. Idle a smooth as any other 07. Bring it up to about 2500 rpm and it develops a knock. Not a hard knock like a piston hitting the head but more of a metallic knock. Pulled the oil filter and drained the oil into a bowl and you can see metallic in the oil. Put a magnet down to the oil and it will drag the oil. Going to pull the engine to see if its a rod bearing

I just picked up a rebuilt 2003 engine that I never got to hear run.
Same deal, has a knock that couldn't be pinpointed, guy just said screw it, if it blows it blows.
20k later, noise was (reportedly) still there, owner got disgusted and is putting a 12 valve in the truck, so he sold me this '03 engine.

I'm on the fence about it because while I was there I saw the truck.
I noticed that the down pipe flange has a chunk missing out of it and it was leaking to the firewall (couldn't see it in the truck) and I am now wondering if the "knock" wasn't actually exhaust blowing out of this piece of missing pipe flange.

I mean, this engine ran 20k on a rebuild with this "knock", you'd think it would have imploded by now if it were serious?

Sorry for the hijack, if any. :D

Mark.

Good for him, even if it was just an exaughst leak he did the right thing LOL

Back