2006 Cummins starts then dies

haulinass97

Have a 2006 cummins fires fines then dies out right away then when yous try to start it again it will fire up and run fine. Checked codes and no codes active or stored. Put new grid heater on and tested relay. Found leak on pressure relief valve on the common fuel rail. Replaced pressure relief valve and it is still doing the same thing. If you give it just a little throttle on the first start up and it will stay running. At my wits end any help would be much appreciated.

Sounds like it's not making enough pressure to stay running the first time. Perhaps an air leak into the fuel system?

Check the fuel return form the injectors. May have one going bad and sticking not letting the pump build enough pressure. Also check your Apps sensor as well

Last edited:
Check the connector tubes to the injectors as well. If one of them is loose it may build enough pressure to start then die.

Cleaned the fuel rail off and took for a drive found a fuel leak on the return side of the relief valve. Took apart found someone helicoiled the threads on return side. Found cummins wanted over 500 bucks for a new one so started looking and injection has a pressure relief delete for 50. Went with that fired right up no problems. Let it sit over night and it started the start then die situation again.

Last edited:
Find someone with a scanner and watch the data to see if the rail is holding pressure after it starts or if it electrical. Maybe something in the ecm

Hooked up to the pickup with a snap on versus checked codes again no codes found. Started running some test. found the high pressure fuel was moving about 2KPSI at an idle but steady as soon as you gave it throttle. went and checked the cylinder contribution test and a P0606 code came up. Did a little research on the code and found that most of the time when the code comes on the ECM needs replacement. I guess that is the route I'm going to have to go. Thanks for the guidance.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. I would swap in a FCA to see if the old one was worn out or sticking open. Does the rail idle at 5-6k if you blip the throttle on startup or does it settle to 2k at idle even after startup?

thats not good and there's your problem.

should idle pretty solid at 7k.

can you monitor FCA voltage? if not find someone with EFI live or a scanner as stated above.

how many miles on the Cp3?

Back