2006 not holding coolant

william_04_x

My buddy was towing his 5th wheel trailer and said it started running hot. He pulled over and found the upper radiator hose blown of,f and coolant all down the side of his truck. He put the hose back on, but said it would spit coolant back out when he tried to refill. Sounded like headgaskets to me, but I'd rather ask you guys if there's something common that causes a condition like this on these motors.

My buddy was towing his 5th wheel trailer and said it started running hot. He pulled over and found the upper radiator hose blown of,f and coolant all down the side of his truck. He put the hose back on, but said it would spit coolant back out when he tried to refill. Sounded like headgaskets to me, but I'd rather ask you guys if there's something common that causes a condition like this on these motors.

Sure sounds like head gaskets, but take note that a 2006 LLY isn't really an LLY. Its the same as an LBZ with a milder tune from the factory. 06-07=third gen duramax.

Did he open the bleeder screw when he tried to refill it ? It will gurgle and spit it back if he didn't. When he gets it going again he needs to check to see if the upper hose is hard in the morning/ engine cold. Pressure test the system also.

The coolant block off plate on the engine adapter is a common source of leaks on the lbz motors, but it should not pressurize the coolant system. Also the EGR cooler could have let go and let exhaust heat and pressure into the system.