2012 6.7 Cummins ecm failure

Derekveneman

Just recently my 2012 Cummins had an ECM failure and It went into limp mode and wouldn't go over 1500 RPMs or 1o miles an hour I don't know what the problem is and the dealer they said they'd work on it in the end up taking the first three injectors and switching in with the last back three injectors and It actually seem to work I don't know what the problem is and I think it's my ECM does anybody have any ideas? I would like to tune in the near near future and don't know if my ECM or injectors or whatever is the problem can handle tuning again and someone tell me if you if Efi live will cause another ECM failure or might just cure it or if this was even an ecm failure.

Your about to get hazed for that ramble...

first off what pxxxx dtc codes are coming up?

Last edited:
No codes which was the weird thing! I can't explain it. The end failed and was only commanding 456 cylinders to fire

Wow, punctuation will help a lot. Anyway if your ECM failed your truck would not run at all.

Wow, punctuation will help a lot. Anyway if your ECM failed your truck would not run at all.

well that's not completely true. there are many ways an ECM can fail

typically when a Cummins ECM fails, they're just flat out DOA, but I've seen more than a couple have drivability issues depending on what circuit/s failed

Is the truck currently tuned? I would take it to a competent shop with proper diagnostics software see what your TPS, RP and other sensors are reading. I've seen failing sensors or corroded plugs on these trucks cause very poor drive ability with no codes.

Good point ^

Also what part of Montana are you from? Possibly a known shop is in the area.

Good point ^

Also what part of Montana are you from? Possibly a known shop is in the area.

He's in Bozeman Cody. From what I've heard from Riley, there's not any shops very close to them that they'd trust. Hopefully someone on here knows of a shop nearby though.