2012 jetta tdi

dieselbeef

dick doggin
wagon..50k on it..15k...at a mercedes dealer..

what kinda issues the 12's got...

No real significant issues that will stand out. The HPFP/CP4 issues is what you will read horror stories about but it's not as common as it may seem on the interwebs. I really love the 2.0 CR motor, when stock its quieter than enough gas cars. Torque peaks around 1700-1800rpm so its a lot of fun to drive. Has good power overall and gets very good fuel efficiency.

I haven't followed if the DSG still suffers the occasional DMF failure or mechatronics issue from time to time. On the earlier MKV's they did.

Something to note about the Sportwagen, you may get confused reading around about them. Why VW called it the Jetta Sportwagen makes no sense, its a Golf not a Jetta. It shares the MKVI Golf platform which shared a lot with the MKV Jetta. The MKVI Jetta came in 2011 and the MKVII Golf came in 2013. These two officially break the shared platform between the Golf and Jetta. For 2015 the Jetta Sportwagen chose to stick with the Golf Platform and will finally be called by its real name. Whats important to know is that a 2012 Sportwagen will not share many things with the 2012 Jetta. Obviously some stuff will, but my point is that it is not simply a Jetta hatchback.

Personally I do not like the MKVI Jetta's one bit. The outside is okay, but they dumbed them down and cheapened them up so much inside for the NA market that its depressing. The good news is the Sportwagen still has the luxurious feel of the older ones.

Theres a ton of VW forums that would have more info. Overall, I wouldn't worry about anything with that car. Fairly reliable as VW's tend to be overall, however you do pay German price when you go to fix them. At the same time, the replacement parts tend to be high quality so you do get what you pay for more so than with some others.

They do have a DPF on them, but you can fix that. Leave the stock muffler on and its still very very quiet, its a bit loud straight piped. Here's a couple videos of the TDI Cup edition my wife drives. With her driving it gets 45mpg+ and she's not a slow driver. 6 speed manual. Exhaust is a rawtek downpipe/midpipe with borla rear. Tuning is Malone Stage 2. Can't say it really gained a lot of MPG's with the delete/tune, but definatley gained some power and is fun to drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn4YAMx6sxQ

Without muffler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5Ns2Kqp-Mo

I have driven a jetta gas job for 200k alreay..the biggest problem with the car is the interior/doors/windows/elec stuff..kinda like my 93 dodge..its falling apart around the engine.
seem hard to work on..doors windows have given me fits. those are the kinda things I am most concerned with more so than engine failures..as they seem less common than people make em out to be...
keys/alarms etc seem to suck

I say go for it... BUT, express your concerns about the HPFP failure issue to get the dealer to lower the price or throw in a good extended warranty/service contract that covers the COMPLETE fuel system.

The CR TDIs are fun to drive with more power than any previous generation US market TDIs.

Seems like a good price to me too...

As for the VW build quality. My '06 is giving me some wiring/door troubles too. The driver door switches will not lower the driver rear window and the trunk release no longer works. These are common problems, but it baffles me that a manufacturer cant build a door wire harness that can hold up to opening and closing the door!!!

The door harness has an update. Common issue. VW is kinda known for having some electrical quirks. Fighting some on my wife's now.

Personally I think they're one of the nicest vehicles to work on. Super easy with the mechanic in mind for once. Granted you do need some different tools and an understanding of how they like to put things together but I guess to me a lot of it just makes sense compared to working on American stuff.

German stuff has its quirks though. They tend to have some great ideas and are very smart but also a little stubborn. Probably why it took until 2005 to actually get a normal cup holder into the Jetta lol. I see the same thing in our German tractors (Fendt). They're engineering marvels but some of the simple little things that Americans care about get overlooked like cup holders once again lol.

Thats what I'm fixing. Bad latch module on a rear door. Simple fix, outer skin pops off easy.

The wiring harness to driver door will cause issues too.

My brother has a 2012 jetta tdi 6 speed car. He bought it brand new. The car has over 40k on it now. It has given him not one issue at all. He now wants a tdi golf. I'd go for for it.

The door harness has an update. Common issue. VW is kinda known for having some electrical quirks. Fighting some on my wife's now.

What years had the door harness issue? I haven't had a single issue with my car except now the back left door will not lock, which is really annoying every time I go over 10MPH the doors try to lock, which sucks in traffic. Car has been rear ended twice, and I know the back left door was taken off for repair... so I'm not sure if that's related. I have a 2012 with 86K on it now, purchased new. It has been the best car I've ever owned. Depending on the weather I get between 45-50MPG, and aside from the door not a single problem. I picked up about 2-3MPG with the malone stage II tune and DPF delete.

I think it stopped when they went to the mk6. Could be a latch module issue. On the mk5 you have to remove outer door skin to get to it. Really easy to work on. Need torx and XZN sockets though

Back