21PSI ----- Still

gregm784

Evenin guys. i've searched and couldn't find any leads. Here is the issue.

I have a 02 HO. Autometer gauges. When it was bone stock, i made 21psi. I put a K&N drop in filter in it. 21psi. I put a Superchips tuner on it. 21psi. I put a boost fooler & a boost elbow in it. 21psi.

Under acceleration, it will get a needle or two past 21psi, then drop back to 21psi and stay there. EGTs will get to 1250 if i leg it out long enough (i tow a 13K trailer)

Fresh air side looks good, boots look healthy, intercooler looks clean. I'm going to try and preasure test it and see if i can find a leak, but by how it surpasses 21 then drops back down, it doesn't 'sound' like a leak to me.

Being a 02 manual, I have read i don't have a j-hook style turbo, so put an elbow on it.

I should go to a cold air kit instead?

You are correct, with a manual you do not want to completely bypass the wastegate. Is the gauge electrical or mechanical? Also, how is the boost fooling being done? It sounds like you are not getting enough fuel because the ECM is reducing it to keep the boost in check. With stock injectors I could see 1300+ pretty easy.

Ditch the superchips and boost fooler, pick up a TS MVP and plan on a clutch to go with the grin you'll have then. The stock clutch on the 6spd trucks sucks balls and will not take extra power at all. The fact you still have it tells me the superchip is doing pretty much nothing.

Gonna have to disagree there. Seen/driven/worked on a bunch of 6spd trucks with well over stock power holding no problem. Maybe you should learn how to drive LOL

Gonna have to disagree there. Seen/driven/worked on a bunch of 6spd trucks with well over stock power holding no problem. Maybe you should learn how to drive LOL

I don't use the mutha hubbard unless the truck is stopped, I know how to drive.....sometimes LOL

Every 6spd truck I have seen with more than an EZ on them needed a clutch sooner rather than later, all it took for me to kill my stocker was a set of 275 injectors :bang

ditch the superchips asap you would get more from an xzt+ or an edge EZ, not enough fuel my friend!!!!

I have a QuadZilla boost fooler on it. The gauge is a mechanical Autometer.

Ok, so the gauge should be good to go and the boost fooling should be working right, time to get more fuel, get rid of the superchips and you'll be happier.

Ok, so the gauge should be good to go and the boost fooling should be working right, time to get more fuel, get rid of the superchips and you'll be happier.

Billy;

Is it possible he's got the adjustable boost elbow and hasn't backed out the set screw???

Huh, certain ones were electronically controlled? I thought they started that in 03 with the CR.

Huh, certain ones were electronically controlled? I thought they started that in 03 with the CR.

yes you are correct but it was later than that that the variable pitch turbos hit the cummins. and He's running an 02 so If he's running an HX35.

yes you are correct but it was later than that that the variable pitch turbos hit the cummins. and He's running an 02 so If he's running an HX35.

Im not talking bout the VGT's, when they introduced the CR motor the turbo was electronically wastegated. He stated that he has a quadzilla boost fooler on his.. I thought that was only for the 03+

I stand corrected!

From Quad's web sight.
1998.5-2004 5.9L Cummins
On 1998.5-2004 5.9L Cummins you will need to physically modify your wastegate to gain more turbo boost. Doing this without the Boost Fooler will result in check engine lights and codes set into the computer. Stock 98-04 trucks should generate 18-23psi of boost pressure stock (depending on year model). With the Boost Fooler you will be able to run 35+ psi of boost depending on your fueling enhancements.

Though I just tied mine shut and its fine. Just get used to the code as if it belongs there.

I stand corrected!

Though I just tied mine shut and its fine. Just get used to the code as if it belongs there.

If you do that when you set the code for over boost the ECM defuels the vp to try to get the boost under control. That is why you need some kind of power box with a boost fooler built in. The boost fooler clamps the map/boost signal and fools the ecm that all is ok and allows the ECM to push more fuel. More fuel means More power, More power means MORE FUN He He HE!!!!

my budy had the same problem on his '02 HO truck, it ended up that the wastegate was stuck open.

Back