235hp vs 325hp specs.

DWitcher

Dr. Frankenstein
Hey guy's I just bought a 03 235 hp yesterday and yes I'm a complete noob to the common rail so here's my first stupid question. What's the difference between the 235hp and the later 325hp? Is it programing or injectors too? Is there any difference in the cylinder head? Thanks.

I think the 03' had more than 235hP...my 02 HO was 245. But not sure the difference anyway, so can't help ya...

DWitcher said:
Hey guy's I just bought a 03 235 hp yesterday and yes I'm a complete noob to the common rail so here's my first stupid question. What's the difference between the 235hp and the later 325hp? Is it programing or injectors too? Is there any difference in the cylinder head? Thanks.

I was under the impression that the 03 was the 305HP/555TQ motor????

Going from 305 back to 235 HP just for a Cali version seems kinda Extreme!!!

The 03 had 3 options for HP ratings. High Output: 305hp. 49 state Standard Output 250hp then a California 235hp(real turd).
What I'd like to know is what would it take to convert the 235hp to a H.O. 305hp rating?

According to some there is a differences with the 03-04 valve train verses the 04.5 and up. The later valve train is made from a more resilient metal dealing better with heat and abuse.

Last edited:
What are the differences between the turbo's other than the electronic vs mechanical wastegates?

DWitcher said:
The 03 had 3 options for HP ratings. High Output: 305hp. 49 state Standard Output 250hp then a California 235hp(real turd).
Correct and I believe they all had the same injectors. The 325/600 was introduced in 04.5 and it had a different nozzle pattern.
There is a thread on the subject over on DTR:Link
Those guys are big Smarty and Quad fans so you see a lot of people over there pushing them but it may not be your best option.

Great link, Thanks. I see talk about the S.O. not having the 48re auto. Is this true?

KBennet, why would a Smarty or Quad not my best option?

Last edited:
I am not sure. I had a 2003 SO auto for about 6 months that I traded for the 04 because I couldn't stand the auto for towing. I never looked under the truck to see what I actually had but I think the pan looks different between the 47 and 48.

The SO pulled good but the auto could never figure out where it wanted to be. Drove me crazy!

There are several choices from Smarty, PPE, Diablo, BullyDog, etc. One of them may be better for your application. If you ask on DTR what is the "best" programmer everybody screams Smarty. I recently asked a couple 3rd gen racers what they thought was the best downloader and they said PPE gave them the best times because they were running nitrous. This is because PPE has a tune that fuels and adjusts timing for nitrous.

Recently there were some issues with a run away condition when using the Smarty. I don't know if this was solved or not.

I guess what I am saying is do a little research and find what is best for your application. If you are just doing some towing then a Smarty and some gauges will probably work fine. If you are going racing then see what the fast guys are running and go from there.

Well the reason for me buying this truck was to go fast. I did not want to change my 95 because I like it the way it is. I know big tires and a 5spd would kill that chance.
Some of what was said with the Smarty in the DTR link is the output of the engines would be equal on HP at certain settings no matter what the original HP was. Could this be true?

DWitcher said:
Here is my experience with 2003 CR engine (250hp automatic)

At first I swapped out 250hp engine injectors and I installed injectors from '03 CR engine (325hp)
Here is result: engine start and run, it sound very smoot, but...... it smoked like train and it had NO power (even less than with stock 250hp injectors)

Next step: I installed turo from '04 (325 engine), visually the turbo look much more bigger

Test drive result : little bit better than stock turbo

Step 3: ECM swap from '04 325 engine

Result: engine do not start,no error code

My opinion: 250 hp engine with 325hp injectors, turbo and ECM software it should be identical to stock '04 325hp engine.

Note: The reason why '04 ECM do not work in '03 is : they have ('03 and '04) different engine wiring harness to PCM and PCM software.

Today this engine is back in stock , but soon .......... :evil

Back