24 valve to 93 ford?

rob.97cummins

punisher
Hey guys i am startin a project and wantin to know if anyone has some suggestions or tech support. my dad has a 93 ford with a n/a 7.3 in it and the engine is gettin tired. i wanna do a 24 valve swap into it but i've never done a swap like this before and dont really know how much work it entails. any one ever attemted a swap like this or havein any help for me. all suggestions are appreciated.

Rob

I know it is a zf series tranny but not sure if it is a zf5 or zf6. i dont know a lot bout the ford parts

i have looked at the website, www.destroked.com and i am hoping to be able to get one of those adapter plates so i can reuse the stock drivetrain. And also a set of engine mounts.

I also had the thought to work the ignition as a switch to put power to the ecm and have a push button starter. would that work?

OK, well you'll need an adapter plate (Destroked.com) to adapt the Cummins to the ZF. You will also need engine mounts, or you can take a shot at your own building your own, I bought a nice set from FordCummins.com. You will want an intercooler, there are plenty of good websites that outline the swap into the 92-97 (OBS) Fords, take a look over at powerstrokenation.com or thedieselstop.com and search for intercooler install in the OBS forums. There's a lot of little details that you will have to take care of at some point, tach, a/c (if the truck is so equipped), cruise (may be pretty straight forward as you are starting with a mechanical equipped diesel truck, same goes for the tach), radiator hoses, heater hoses, etc. Some guys who have done the swap have relocated the drivetrain further toward the rear of the truck to accomodate the stock Dodge fan, I didn't do that in mine as that requires new driveshafts. I just plan on installing an electric fan (I don't have a fan currently, no overheating issues). If you have any other questions, just ask, quite a few on here have done the "turning to the dark side" Ford - Cummins swap! Its not hard, just takes time and a good mechanical mindset!

I also had the thought to work the ignition as a switch to put power to the ecm and have a push button starter. would that work?

Not sure about that, I did nothing to mine and my truck was originally a Powerstroke. Just turn the key and it fires right up!:rockwoot:

I do personally prefer a P-pumped 12V, simply because of its simplicity and the amount of power that can be made. Are you thinking about a CR 24V or a VP-44 24V?

Either way, i just thought it would be more unique! Probably a vp-44 24 valve. i mean i am a huge fan of the p-pumped 12 valve yet i was wantin to try somethin different, as i am always up for a challenge!

Yeah, I'd say a VP is a bit more unique. Anyway, back to the ecm question, I assume you are concerned about have the ecm powered up while cranking the engine? Or maybe I am misunderstanding your question.......

yea, that is what i was thinkin of, i just figured with that setup, there wouldn't be a question as to weather it was powered or not.

If I had the funds I would put a CR in, painless even makes a engine swap harness for the 03 and the 05 CR. If you dont want to spend the money on the CR then you can go with the beautiful old 12V, better sound, lots of power and its simple. BTW any decent machinist should be able to shorten/lengthen a driveshaft in no time, I'm a welder/fabricator and we have a machinist in our shop, he shortened a driveshaft for me in 20 mins, start - finish and it doesnt even need to be balanced, if he (machinist) is any good he should be able to get it very close to balanced in the lathe.Also if you go that route, make sure you make your changes to the front half of your 2-piece shaft so you can keep your steady bearing mounts in stock location.

if i use the stock dirvetrain, ( trans, t-case, and diffs) would i need to make a driveshaft adjustment?

if i use the stock dirvetrain, ( trans, t-case, and diffs) would i need to make a driveshaft adjustment?

All depends on where you place the Cummins. I made no adjusments on mine, but I have less room between the radiator and engine but a lot of room between the engine and firewall. That makes valve adjustments much easier!

yea, that would make it easier to run the overhead. i mean i got some time before i can start so i am gettin my ideas together

+Anyone know, for the above swap would i need a dodge clutch or a ford clutch? i have heard both ways.

When i did mine, if i remember corretly i used a southbend clutch and pressure plate for the zf-5 ford and southbend made me a custom flywheel for the application for the right balance for cummins and would bolt up to the cummins but would except the zf-5 splines.

Also when i did mine (was a 460 gas automatic) i went through beans diesel performance he is a destroked dealer for the adapter plate and motor mounts. I used an intercooler off of a 6.0 liter powerstroke, i also ran 1.5 inch body lift to give me a little bit more clearance by the firewall and for the exhaust down pipe. o and you have to use a starter from a 6.0 also. If you have anymore questions pm me and ill help out as much as i can.

Back