24v 181/210 in a 12v

Kronic_187

Mekanical injection junky
just bought a big 181/210 off a buddy who barely broke it in and blew his motor... has 24v tappets...

now, should i be running 24v pushrods as well ? i noticed they are about 1/2" longer then the 12v pushrods i have in it now...

just curious, motor spins over fine, just wanna get it right before i flash this freshly built budget build up tommorow afternoon

I'm not sure if the pushrod cups are deeper in the 24v tappets vs 12v tappets. But there are alot of variables that can change it pushrod length, valvetrain differences, deck height, head thickness, etc. However I'd sure like to know since I have 24v tappets for my cam lying around too.

PS Is it a new Big Stick or older?

-Dustin-

Pushrod cups are deeper on the 12v but the point at which the pushrod sits on the lifter is identical. You can get away with the 24v tappets and your pushrods. The ball on the 24v is slightly larger but the 12v will work without issue.

The pushrod length has to do with the head you are running. if you are running a 12 v head......

Some people order 12v pushrods with the 24v ball ends, but you can get buy on a little difference on a street truck.

not to hijack, but i have a 12v engine i am putting a colt stage 3 in and probably re-use the factory 12v tappets. i am ordering the hamilton 24v extreme duty push rods as i will be running a 24v head on it. this setup will be fine or should i order 24v tappets? its a LOW mileage 12v that burnt a piston and im building a p-pump 24v

you can run 24 v tappets in a 12 valve. Actually preferrable because the the lifter face is quite a bit larger.

When i had all the parts sitting out while we assembled the short block, we noticed said differnces in tappets.... pushrod sits in the same spot, but ball a tad bit bigger...

Im thinkin in the spring u'll see an order from me for locks, springs and pushrods zach...

All i have to say so far is the cam does exatly what its supposed to do, with stock 180 stix spraying into 155* bowls and .024 dvs, io can light my 63/68/15 like a 35, where as before i had 5x.014's.... im sure the fact that this motor has compression has a big impact as well.... but im very impressed.... another friend of mine has a p-pump 24v with 150 stix and an ED 64/74/12 thats pretty impressed as well.... may be lookin for a cam soon.