24v Excursion

dbshelton

Is a 2002 24v a good choice for a swap into a 2000 2wd Excursion for daily driver/family vacation/tow 8000# race trailer vehicle? My 2000 V10 is just about the perfect vehicle for me. Except for the gas engine. Ford's diesel is only a bit better. With Cummins power, I'd be real happy. Now I gotta decide which engine.

I know I'll need an aftermarket transmission computer setup. How much other electronics changes involved?

I would see what destroked has to help you. they sell the adapter plates and and wiring harness. The electrical end in my opinion is what is goin to be the hardest.
Sounds like a cool project, posted pics as you go along.

The 2002 24v is a good choice. A buddy of mine put a commonrail in his wife's ex and loves it.

I used a CR in mine. (see link posted above) Lot's of good info in there.

Engine choice is up to you. 12V or 24V VP would be the cheapest probably. A common rail would be the quietest. Even with my setup, the incab engine noise is noticeable. Not bad, but if I did it again I would add more sound deadener on the firewall.

If you purchase a donor vehicle for the swap, I would suggest you use everything (engine/tranny/computers etc). Using a 48RE or a 47 isn't that difficult and it saves you from needing to buy all the expensive adapter plates to mate it to a ford transmission.

Opened your web link etc... I've followed your thread on the DTR . Looks great how are you liking it now ?..mpg ? etc ....I'm redoing mine ... its a 12v and 6spd manual. My wife likes it and I do too ..when mine is back together is should rock! I had to drop the 8" lift, and redo a bunch of stuff. I think there only a few Excursions converted, like maybe 10..
Thanks,
Deo

Last edited: