24v out 12v in.

12vriviera

That Guy with that car
my friend has a 99 3500 5speed that is eating itself from the inside... its a 53 block.
my question is what all do i need to do to keep the electronics working, speedo tach gauges in cluster... if i put a 6bt into it for him... i was gonna try to find a 96 to 98.5 12v with everything on it,n possibly a wrecked truck.. any help is, as always, appreciated!
thanks guys

I am currently doing the exact same swap. Just with a 99' 2500 chassis and a 95' 12 valve. Looks like i will be able to use most of the gauges by using adaptors.
Since its just a pulling truck i am not too worried about the factory tach. I will use my own aftermarket tach. Good luck with it!

I think the 99 uses a cam sensor and the 12 valve uses a crank sensor.
when you p pump a 24valve you have to adapt the 12v timing case to hold the cam position sensor and use the cam gear from the 24 valve. If you have an early 99 it may have a crank sensor like a 12valve in which case you would be better off.
If im wrong about something someone will chime in.:hehe: Rich

I think the 99 uses a cam sensor and the 12 valve uses a crank sensor.
when you p pump a 24valve you have to adapt the 12v timing case to hold the cam position sensor and use the cam gear from the 24 valve. If you have an early 99 it may have a crank sensor like a 12valve in which case you would be better off.
If im wrong about something someone will chime in.:hehe: Rich

The 98.5-00 had a crank and cam sensor, the crank sensor reads a tone ring on the crank where the #6 connecting rod is, the 12v's read it off the balancer.

just drive it down?...
so if i could get a 12v with harness and ecm.. on the engine. i could wire my current crank sensor wiring to the 12v crank sensor to get tach to work... other gauges are a matter of getting wiring diagrams and connecting to each other?