271 swap problem

Cord

Earlier this year I swapped in a 271 transfercase from a Dodge to replace my broken 241ld. I have the speedo hooked up and working great but I'm having touble with the shifter. When I first installed the tc I realized that I had the wrong pattern so I sent the case to transfercase express. They changed the shift pattern to a Ford. This got things to start working, but's still not right. It would seem as though I don't have enough stroke to the shift lever. I can get 2hi, 4i, and neutral, but not low range. Or I can adjust the shifter so I get low to 4i, but not 2hi. Some say that I shouldn't have to do anything with the linkage and the stock shifter should work. Others say that I need to build a full custom shift linkage. Any thoughts? Also, is there a way to some functioning gates on the shifter? Although I can feel the gates, a more positive stop for each gear would be nice.

i have a 1995 that i did a swap in and it works perfect i adjusted it correctly and it goes in all the ranges but i cant get the speedo to work at all

try adjusting the linkage but if that doesn't work you can extend the linkage under the truck to give the linkage more throw to allow you to get the other gear.

i have a 1995 that i did a swap in and it works perfect i adjusted it correctly and it goes in all the ranges but i cant get the speedo to work at all

After I did my install, I posted some fairly detailed instructions on how to wire up the speedo. Here is the link: http://www.pavementsucks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=121910&highlight=271

Currently my guess is that the case lever is shorter on the Dodge tc's than the Fords. I'm thinking that I need to swap levers or modify the one that I have. Just hoping I get somebody to confirm this before I start cutting things apart.

The positive feeling going from gear to gear is due to a ball riding against the shift plate inside the t-case. You can remove the ball and spring from the bottom of the case and put a spacer under the spring for more pressure. You will have to drain the fluid first.

Did you reuse the metal linkage arm from the 241 case that bolts to the side of the case (slotted end)? I did a swap in my 01 to a 271 and didn't change any linkages and it worked fine...

Well if the 271 arm is longer than the 241 arm (I don't know if they are any different?), that's why you aren't getting enough rotation of the shaft to get to 4L...

I was thinking of just cutting the bracket and making it longer. Even if it's too long, the only result would be a extra short stroke to the shift lever. Unfotinatly, I don't have my stock 241 shift lever. Anybody have one they can measure?

You could make the shift lever longer or make the t-case lever shorter. I was referring to the t-case lever...