2nd Gen Stainless Exh manifolds

OT-OF-Here

Owner of the Black Beach
A few questions.

1) Who has over 700hp and is running a stainless exh manifold and has had NO problems?

2) Is stainless superior to a ceramic coated premium aftermarket manifold?

i know Greg is running one on the Project X truck with no problems. also stainless is the preffered metal to run on exhaust manifolds and headers. Cast Iron is a little outdated considering that most turbocharged vehicles that have upgraded turbochargers and exhaust manifolds/headers go with stainless. the coating on the headers/manifolds is a thermal heat barrier, keeping the heat inside the exhaust manifold/header and underhood temps down.

SS Exhaust Manifold

I'm not as concerned about the SS itself as the ability to have the welds hold up as most pics you see of failures are at welds.

Does anyone know the preferred alloy SS for an exhaust manifold?

It seems as if you can find them in the ball park of a premium aftermarket cast unit that has been ceramic coated and my internet search is showing them to be good to 1400*,.. maybe a bit more. Not that good,.. but then again only for a few seconds.

Input?

Matt at Over Kill makes his out of 321 "SS" we have a truck running one for over a year at some pretty high EGT's and no failers yet!!

John

Running a SS header, not sure of the grade, but the problem is the we had was the expansion rate is differant between the SS and the head. They are working on a new header that should be out by early this year.

I kinda like the durability of a cast manifold. Isn't there another alloy that is supposed to be better than SS? I know some of the high end exotic cars run headers made from it.

I kinda like the durability of a cast manifold. Isn't there another alloy that is supposed to be better than SS? I know some of the high end exotic cars run headers made from it.

Inconel, I had some headers on a buick gn that were made from it, big bucks....

If it were me I'd keep my eye on the bullseye cast manifold that stainless diesel is selling. I understand it's made from the same stainless alloy that my turbine housing and other turbine housings marketed as stainless are. It's not pure stainless steel which is what's been reported to crack/fail over time. I'm interested in how the expansion rate differences between the head and manifold will add up over time and more interested in any improvement in spool the cast stainless manifold would offer.

We have some in the shop to play with right now. One piece stainless alloy. Nice thick walls, even thicker on all the outside corners that tend to heat soak. Missing the big connection rings on the 3pc cast pieces. Doing some 3rd gen to 2nd gen manifold/3rd gen turbo conversion kits with them. Add a turbine housing and manifold blanket.......for the spool-o-holic's out there