2wd VS. 4wd

Blackdog

Hillbilly Deluxe
How many of you tow with a 2wd or 4wd 1 ton? I'm at a crossroad. I only own 4wd except for my Topkick Which I'm trying to sell but these days vehicles aren't really selling due to the economy. So I figured I might as well trade it in but not sure if I should give 2wd a try for hauling. I hate to sell my topkick but NC is crazy high on registering prices since they go by the vehicles GCWR which for me is 33k and it would cost over $1,000 a year for a truck that sits more than it is used.

So which do you drive for towing and why do you prefer it.

If it's strictly for hauling on pavement 2wd is the way to go. 4wd consume more due to the extra wieght and higher stance. It will also cost less and requires a tiny bit of less maintenance.

most every hot-shotter I know runs a 2wd...

if you're picking up/dropping off a load somewhere that requires 4wd, there'll usually be a loader or something that can get you onto pavement

most every hot-shotter I know runs a 2wd...

if you're picking up/dropping off a load somewhere that requires 4wd, there'll usually be a loader or something that can get you onto pavement

x2 plus the less weight of the 4x4 stuff is added cargo capacity

The few times I've hauled something, there was one time I was thankful for 4x4. Truck was still stock. I had a 64 impala on a trailer somewhere in the hills of CO and it started to snow. Stop and go traffic and I was on my way up the hill (major road west of Denver). if I was a 2wd I would of had to pull over for about 12 hours because even in 4x4 it slipped backward from a dead stop. OEM tires tho, I'm sure didn't help.

However, 99% of the time, that's not the case, go 2wd.

I have used one of my trucks for Hot Shot work and never really needed 4wd but a few times I did because I was hauling trees and shrubs that were in bad areas but now I am just hauling my pulling tractors and trucks here and there.

I like 4wd for the fact that you always have it if you are in the middle of no where and need it. But i mainly just haul farm equipment and 4wd is kind of mandatory if your farming. If you are mainly on the road, 2wd will be just fine, and a lot less maintenance. No u-joints to go bad in the front end, and I think the steering system probably holds up better on them.

Eric

Attachments

• Haul.jpg
    Haul.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 29
4-wheel drive no matter what. Everyone that talks about fuel and extra drag....I don't get it. This is your personal tow machine. That little 'simple' turn-around in no-where-land that "looks" solid......yeah, you're stuck. One tow bill will pay for ALL the extra fuel you use in a year or more not to mention your time and the headache. Heck, just look at the TS event. I'd rather have 4x4 and ease my way out than a 2wd locker and dig my way out.

If it were a lite truck I'd say not nessary but when it's got weight....... Oh yeah, 4x4 all-the-way!

Can ya tell I've been stuck before? LOL

I have two 4x4's and yeah it's great because you never know but the 2wd 3500 would really be for the most part on the road going up and down the east coast to pulls. Plus the one I'm looking at is a 5sp. and I told myself I will not trade a manual for an auto if it is primarily going to be used for hauling.

It's not the 'roads' that would bother me it's the .2 to .5 miles you sometimes need. Hell, just try to take off in wet grass on a 2% slope. Try a steep driveway with a trailer...in reverse.

Burner is right,,more than once I have needed my 4x4 while pulling my 5th wheel.. one time I was in a campground, and the skys erupted,, in 24 hours the place was just a big muck hole,, I am quite positive I wouldnt have gotten out of there with a 2wd...and that is only 1 time, out of many that 4wd came in handy

.....I hate sand sometimes. Our trucks SINK in sand so quick it's just silly. I've been to the beach twice and needed 4wd to turn around.

.....and yes, I felt stupid when I got stuck in 2wd in a gravel park/turn area. They had plenty of gravel 6, 8 and 47-57 nice and thick, a foot thick. I pulled in and got out to speak with Scott, mgt. I get back in the truck and ease into it just a bit and "ZiiiP" it's burred and I thought I had ripped a tire open. I put'er in 4x4 backed up just a tad and back into forward and eased it out. This area was dry as a bone. This is what happends when folks don't understand how to make a base. There was WAYYY too much air between the rocks.:bang

It sounds like for what your wanting to do with the truck, I would say go ahead and get the 2wd truck. It sounds like a lot of pavement being traveled and that is where the 2wd truck would be fine at.

better to have it and not need it

than need it and not have it..

sorta like 600 horses :)

id never think twice bout anything other than 4x4.. its worth it that one time it gets you out of a jam...

as long as it isnt the pits at ts :bang, id say 2wd. if most of your driving is on the road.
2wd all the way for towing i just towed my 36 foot travel trailer this weekend for the first time with my 5 speed 4wd and i was allover the road a lot of trailer sway .to me it felt like my 2wd it is a lot more stable at highway speed