3.9 ISB compounds

4bt4me

I know this isn't quite the right section, but I think it may yield the best results.

Working on a 3.9 swap into a buddys 04 Ford F-150, the motor is also an 04 common rail with an Allison 1000 behind it. As of right now we are up to the air end of things... the original plan was to ditch the factory turbo and ECU and run a Zeus or Bosch standalone ecu and use a HE351VE (which he already has) which we figured would be a tunable combination.

The standalone ECU idea has been scrapped and I'm thinking the HE351 would be on the big side for the stock 170hp tune and by the time he would invest in a controller he could buy another turbo and do compounds.

The factory HX30w is long gone, and the factory manifold is a 3-1 split with a T-2 flange. I'm thinking cutting and capping a 2nd gen manifold in a 2-2 and running it flipped up would work best and be better than a T-2. The main concern is turbo sizing, the goal is to be fast spooling now, but room to grow HP wise. How well would the HE351 work as the atmosphere charger possibly with the vanes in a fixed position or controlled by a WGA? What to run as the primary charger in the 45 to 50mm range? Internal or external gate?

Again any input is appreciated, I don't think any of swap forums can help too much! It's hard to guess how this CR is going to run compared to a 8v 3.9.

The stock turbo for that engine should have been the HE221 which uses the smaller inlet flange. What are his power goals? The stock turbo can make 200hp on it's own, pair it with an HX40 as the primary atmosphere turbo and you got lots of air.

The stock turbo for that engine should have been the HE221 which uses the smaller inlet flange. What are his power goals? The stock turbo can make 200hp on it's own, pair it with an HX40 as the primary atmosphere turbo and you got lots of air.

I believe it was actually a HX30 that came with it, I have pictures of the tag somewhere from before it got sold.

Power goals are probably around the 350 range, we are trying to track down the 250 Ecm or a way to reflash, it will get injectors and probably a pressure box.