3rd Gen 12v swap info

cosmo22nov

3rd Gen 1500 12v swap info

Ok so I have been thinking about putting a 12v in my 2wd 02 1500 for some time now. I would like to use this thread to start pooling info. I dont want people posting saying well just buy a 2500 and shorten the frame (ive been there done that) or saying its not worth the time and money. I know this is a very popular subject and I want to have the info for anyone to be able to do this if they want. I will start by posting this thread that has given me some good info I wasnt aware of. I will also post some usefull pics from this thread on here.

Jeff Garmon's NEW 1500 Dodge DIESEL makes the RT-10 look like a sissy truck! - TheDieselGarage.com

and it would be great if the 1500 12v guru (cough, jeff garmin, cough cough) could chime in :D

-Tanner

Last edited by a moderator:
alright here are some pictures from the thread I posted above, notice the custom motor mounts

DSCN3775.jpg

DSCN3781.jpg

DSCN3782.jpg

DSCN3783.jpg

and here is a photo from garmins newer truck, this is the piece you need to fabricate to clear the oil pan:

0906dp_05_z2007_dodge_ramcustom_sup.jpg

And here are some photos from Chris Mallett's swap off of the cummins forum,

stock 1500 motor mounts (obviously dont line up)

100_1628.jpg

100_1629.jpg

and the tranny mount (also doesnt line up)

100_1633.jpg

and here is Chris' custom brace to clear the oil pan\

100_1648.jpg

and finally here is his custom fuel pick up

100_1650.jpg

100_1651.jpg

Also here is a post from the link in the first post from one of the guys that helped with the swap. (its located on the bottom of page 2 in the thread)

all the factory guages will function as they did with the v6.i am useing the same wireing harness from v6.cut all b.s. and unneeded wireing from harness so it will look like it was factory.ecm will stay to control all guages and alternator.can not wiat to finish this cool unit.maybe call it SRT6B2T.how cool it will be.:HappyMugs

It will fall right together. The 12v in a 1500 is cool!!! get busy :Cheer:

is there a weight difference in a 1500 conversion and a shortened 2500?

yes, the 1500 should be slightly lighter. I will my truck once it's done. I'm hoping for it to be done be the end of summer.

yeah the frame is different and the rear axle is lighter. there is probably some other things too.

man that sucks.
these pics are goin to help me out a bunch doin a 6.7 in a 2005 1500

hmmm... i am looking into doing a very similar swap. Aafter researching quite a bit, everyone says the 12v drops right into place on a 1500 build.... no?

hmmm... i am looking into doing a very similar swap. Aafter researching quite a bit, everyone says the 12v drops right into place on a 1500 build.... no?

on 2001 and older yes, 2002 and up no.