3rd Gen 5.9L w/HX50w turbo help!!!

AKstewie84

I have a 04 3rd gen cummins with 4" strait piped turbo back exhaust, Edge Juice w/attitude programmer and K&N cold air intake. Built transmission set up. Stock everything ells. New 100gpm 30psi lift pump is on the way.

I'm going to bolt up a Cummins Hx50w turbo with an adaptor flange to my motor and I'm wanting to know what injector size I should go with. What amount of boost should I be running and what kind of power expectations should I expect? I don't rely wanna go over 1000ft lb's of torque or to many HP's. I just want a good healthy motor with plenty of power for the street and towing along with low EGTs. Do you think I'll experience to much lag since it's a 66mm turbo?

A 40 is small for a CR truck, old design inefficient turbo that can break shaft easily in trucks with good fuel supply. Basically leave the 40 in the past.

A 40 is small for a CR truck, old design inefficient turbo that can break shaft easily in trucks with good fuel supply. Basically leave the 40 in the past.

Get this stigma out of your head. The hx35, hx40, HE351cw, HE351VE, HE400VE, H1C, H1E, AND MANY MORE run the same size shaft. The H1E shares the same exact turbine wheel design with the HX40 and the larger turbine H1E shares the same turbine design with the HE400VE. It has zero to do with turbine design or shaft size. The HX40 stigma arises from people buying junkyard turbos, making hybrids in their garage, and early chinese crap and popping them.

That said, the HX40 would share a similar compressor and larger turbine. Turbine side would benefit the OP in terms of flow but obviously spool up would be sacrificed. Not a worthwhile upgrade.

The HX50 is just all around not a great upgrade. By the time you factor in purchase price and all of the time/money adapting you are better off with something better suited for the app.

Why do I have a blown up hx40 as a door stop in my shop? P pump truck that really had too much fuel for that turbo, stood on it, kicked down to pass a car and BANG shaft failure and sent turbine wheel into the bend on the down pipe and compressor wheel pieces flying.
No stigma, just blown up junk to show it. Do you think putting bigger wheels on the same diameter shaft reduces stress on the shaft?? Impossible

Why do I have a blown up hx40 as a door stop in my shop? P pump truck that really had too much fuel for that turbo, stood on it, kicked down to pass a car and BANG shaft failure and sent turbine wheel into the bend on the down pipe and compressor wheel pieces flying.
No stigma, just blown up junk to show it. Do you think putting bigger wheels on the same diameter shaft reduces stress on the shaft?? Impossible

You answered your own question...

Shaft and wheel failures do tend to happen when you severely overspeed a stock turbocharger...

You realize I have well over 50 upgraded HX35, HX40, HE351cw, HE351VE, etc... running down the road everyday? Zero failures. Impossible I say! I read online that HX40s are junk.

The Cm2250 ISX runs the same diameter shaft with a 67mm turbine hooked to it and a 66mm compressor on the other end every day for hundreds of thousands of miles taking well more abuse as a VGT spinning its guts out.

For reference, I've had more box borgs fail catastrophically than small frame Holsets ten fold.

Last edited:
Quote where I said the 40 is junk.... Never said they were, they have their place too but on trucks that can pour the fuel like a common rail it wouldn't be my choice. I said they fail in trucks with lots of fuel because well, they do, even you agreed to that. I don't care what brand turbo it is or how it's made, someday it all breaks.

I really feel like a stock 40 is more at home on a VE or mild P pump but that's me... I only have 2 turbos lol

Last edited:
If you don't even want 1000 ft/lbs just get hptuners and maybe an he351. No sense in going wild for a number like that.

Back