3rd gen HX40-BHT3B twins. Who has them?

Morse

Diesel
I've done searches on the forums, and found a lot of people that ran this setup on previous year trucks, though who's running them on 3rd gens? RC Cox guided me on the turbos, and Joe Hellmann is building me a twins kit with them. RC is doing very well with them. Who else with a third gen is running them? If you are, could you tell me how they are performance and durability wise for you? I know they are kind of the dinosaurs of turbos these days. The good part of that, is the price is much more reasonable than the popular turbos of today. RC seems very happy with his. I like how his max boost is only 55, and his max EGT's are just under 1500 in the quarter. I'm interested in others results. My 06 ran a 12.21 on diesel only with a 62-14 and 90hp (29 litre) DDP injectors. I'm very curious what it will do with the twins/39 litre injector combo next time out..

62-12 over an S400 seems to be the twin setup of choice today from what I have read. lots of people dont like the HX40 due to the weak shafts. I know on the 2nd gens they were a popular setup back in the day but with charges advancing like they are everybody seems to want the most popular out there. I just want an old school towing setup or maybe a hybrid 35 over a S400.

Andy

lmills ran the 40/3b up to 700+hp and never had a prob with egts, i know they saw it all from towing heavy to snow plowing for hrs on end to daily driving to work. i have a set of 35/40 over an s400, i like it, it spools quick but i am thinking about going bigger on top. guess i will eithe rhave to sell this set or just swap out the top charger. twins are great.

I have a friend (BHaner) who ran this setup in his 03 sled puller/daily driver/Tow rig. He just sold the truck and now the same turbos are going into his 07 5.9. It works great and helped him make almost 650 on fuel only. Jason Burton did his twins and he runs Don M~ cam and injectors. The turbos are great for all round use in a 3rd gen truck. We have towed my enclosed trailer with the race truck in it as well as 5 tons of hay ect ect.....

Grandpuba on dodgetruckworld.com runs them and seems to like them. I believe he has a 14cm housing on the 40.

I made 724hp with a ht3bx26 and a 40x16 in my 98 with a vp44 pump and a "little" nitrous

Thanks for the responses.. I'm now running dual cp3's as well with the large injectors. Looks like there's definitely potential to have some decent numbers..

Morse said:
I've done searches on the forums, and found a lot of people that ran this setup on previous year trucks, though who's running them on 3rd gens? RC Cox guided me on the turbos, and Joe Hellmann is building me a twins kit with them. RC is doing very well with them. Who else with a third gen is running them? If you are, could you tell me how they are performance and durability wise for you? I know they are kind of the dinosaurs of turbos these days. The good part of that, is the price is much more reasonable than the popular turbos of today. RC seems very happy with his. I like how his max boost is only 55, and his max EGT's are just under 1500 in the quarter. I'm interested in others results. My 06 ran a 12.21 on diesel only with a 62-14 and 90hp (29 litre) DDP injectors. I'm very curious what it will do with the twins/39 litre injector combo next time out..
Im running 29LMP injectors from DDP, but run a stock turbo and a B2, its been great for a street truck, and on 35's I run a 12.289

Dazed&Confused said:
Ok so how laggy is it with the 40 on top compared to a 35?

Andy

It is not bad at all IMHO very drivable :rockwoot:

Hoss said:
It is not bad at all IMHO very drivable :rockwoot:

Thanks, my truck tows mostly but I still hotrod it. Guess it depends on what I stumble across now.

Andy

CookCR, I liked the 29 litre injectors from DDP as well.. I ran them for quite a while. I'm hoping these twins will give enough air to atleast come close to cleaning up the 39's.. I'd like to atleast see lower 11's out of this truck on diesel only.. I know hoping and doing are sometimes two different things though..

Dazed&Confused said:
Ok so how laggy is it with the 40 on top compared to a 35?

Andy

I've had both and would much prefer the 35 over the 40. The compromise is a 35/40 hybrid. I did tow once with the 40 but it was better with the 35. IMO DD was more fun with the 35. All out power was better with the 40.

95ram said:
I've had both and would much prefer the 35 over the 40. The compromise is a 35/40 hybrid. I did tow once with the 40 but it was better with the 35. IMO DD was more fun with the 35. All out power was better with the 40.

There is a huge difference between a P-Pump/VP44/CP3 as far as lag goes

Hoss said:
There is a huge difference between a P-Pump/VP44/CP3 as far as lag goes

I know this. I was refering to D&C's post. He has an 01 which is what I had twins on.

I run something close with a HX-40/16 over an S400. They are externally gated with a Tial 38mm because the internal on the 40 just wasn't big enough even after being enlarged and punched through the divider (which I wouldn't do again). Spoolup is pretty snappy, I make 60psi total with 32-34 psi off the bottom charger. I also have a small shot of N20 which the setup handles fine. They've been on the truck for almost 3 years now, and I haven't had a single problem with them. For power I run a TST/MP8 stack and F1 Flux 1s. EGTs top out at 1400 when running down the 1/4. The truck makes 590s on fuel and 670 on the spray, but is limited by the stock pump. I wouldn't mind having a 62 on top, but I'm happy with the way it spools and performs.