4 min run time, 2 burnt pistons!!!

qleseid

So this is a fun one, rebuilt an '04.5 325 cummins that suffered an injector failure and melted #5 piston right out of the hole. Engine rebuild went as planned and of course flushed fuel system and upgraded to a dual fuel filter system that is 2 microns absolute with water seperator. Replaced all 6 injectors with new from bosch, no remans here. This truck started fine, pulled out of the shop. Ran two minutes down the road and then idled two minutes in the shop with lots of white smoke. Bosch only warranteed the injectors and nothing else. Pulled head and this is what was found........

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 0
Dude that suxs. You got any ideas? You running somekind tuner that is malfunctioning? Timing off? fuel pressure spike whats your rail pressure?

I would think the CP3 has shelled out on you. In the spray pattern I see some gold color crap and that would come from the CP3.

Maybe it is an optical allusion. Hard to tell.

Last edited:
can't see it that well. Is that pieces of injector tip in the cylinder and a blown out tip ? Did the piston hit it ?

Last edited:
New injectors and two of them had defective tips. Bosch tried to say the tip damage was caused by water until they received them. I guess even blank injector tips can be of poor quality from time to time. This truck is completely stock, runs great now once the two jugs were replaced and another batch of injectors.

It's official. I hate the HPCR fuel system on our trucks. They have some serious failure rates! Especially when modified.

Me thinks it's back to the gasser world for me...