4 to 2 wheel

Sorry if this is old news but I really don't know. I tried to search back through old posts but can't see anything on shifting from 4 to 2 wheel.

I have always stayed 4 until I hit the traps and let out of the pedal. Now, with a new set up I have I cannot let out as quickly as I did before can I shift from 4 to 2 safely during FT? Would it hurt anything to say pop from 4 to 2 at the 60'? Call me a silly noob.

:pop:

Some trucks will go from 4 to 2 and some wont. I dont think it will hurt anything and it never did on the truck I used to race.

I waited till it shifted into 2nd and the torque converter locked up and then kicked it out of 4 wheel.

I would think that wou would have to let off the throttle to shift it, unless you had like an "On the Fly" switch, but even then i dont think it would disengage until you let off anyway. I was wondering that same thing, and that is what i have come up with.

Part of the reason I have waited was that I am just a short **** and was afraid to reach down to pop it out. I have discovered that I am not that short so was curious as to the outcome. Being that it is second gen, no "on the fly" switch.

I pop it into 2wheel after the launch but It doesn't release 4x4 until I let off the throttle at the end of the quarter.

Lavon

I dont touch mine till well after I have let off after the traps... just enough time so that it will disengage to turn around (my local track is an old airstrip) at castrol I dont even get in too much of a panic for that,, nice easy turn at the end to the road back,, switch it out there,, youll be fine

I dont touch mine till well after I have let off after the traps... just enough time so that it will disengage to turn around (my local track is an old airstrip) at castrol I dont even get in too much of a panic for that,, nice easy turn at the end to the road back,, switch it out there,, youll be fine

Thanks Kevin, You gonna be there Saturday?

I pop it into 2wheel after the launch but It doesn't release 4x4 until I let off the throttle at the end of the quarter.

Lavon

I'm no racer, but I would have to agree with this. Depending on what front axle you have, you can flip the vacuum off any time but it won't release until the torque is taken off the gears. $.02

Upon further thought, in a 2nd gen, seems like the trxfer case would release as soon as you moved the lever but the CAD up front won't release the front axle from the forward drive shaft until the pressure is released somewhat.

What year truck are we dealing with?

Thanks Kevin, You gonna be there Saturday?

No I wont be. My truck is in a thousand pieces around the garage,, kind of stalled,, no head, and no turbos... and no money. Im going to keep working with the parts I have,, hopefully a bunch of pennys from heaven will just sorta drop and I will be able to get it back together in time for blackout,.. but its not looking good

My theory is, pulling it out of 4x4 at full throttle is more likely to break something than driving straight down the track at full throttle and letting off at the traps and popping it out. Mine still doesn't disenguage until after I've started turning off the track. Not sure if this is a 3g thing or not. But I leave it in 4.

On the 02 you can shift to 2wd and you will actually pick up mph. My race truck is an 02 and you are actually disengaging the transfer case. There is no collar to release and no vacuum engagement. The 02 was the first year for that. When I was running twins and a VP pump I would bump the shifter into 2wd after the shift into 2nd. I have noticed as much as 4mph trap speed increase. Be careful not to shift into neutral!:doh: YOU don't have to let out of the throttle to release it!

Meacham Evins

Meachim, I dont want to sound like I dont believe, but I really dont believe that the transfer case will shift out under load,,, there should be no possible way for it to come out of that posistion till the load is off... and to be honest even if it would I dont think that I would even try, the load pressures inside that transfer case are brutal,, and the stretch on the chain is amazing,, all you would do is possibly shock the chain and maybe even break it

Kevin

Meachim, I dont want to sound like I dont believe, but I really dont believe that the transfer case will shift out under load,,, there should be no possible way for it to come out of that posistion till the load is off... and to be honest even if it would I dont think that I would even try, the load pressures inside that transfer case are brutal,, and the stretch on the chain is amazing,, all you would do is possibly shock the chain and maybe even break it

Kevin

I agree. You can physically move the shifter out of 4 high, but it does not disengage until you let up on the throttle.

Kevin

x2 full mech leave it in 4H till you cross the traps

electric wont go to 2H till you take the load off.

going from 4h to 2h under a load it a *****

There is no collar to release and no vacuum engagement. The 02 was the first year for that.

Must be an early and late model '02. My '02 has a CAD axle and vacuum dissengagement. $.02

Back